Sunday 13 June 2021

One Poem by Afiah Obenewaa


 

Kentry ‘ard

 

I saw a woman in trotro today.

She looked weather—beaten and frail.

Her face bore the tales of distant lands.

Life had shoved her in more places than one.

 

I heard her mumble a plea.

Inching closer I made out a few words.

It was a prayer for her wayward husband.

I stared in admiration.

 

I wanted her to teach me her special skill.

I desired to learn the art of caging this raging

beast in my breast.

I want it tamed so someone’s son

doesn’t end up with a broken head.

 

I wanted a lesson

but the mate shouted my stop

and I had to grudgingly trudge down. 




Afiah Obenewaa - is a writer living and working in Accra-Ghana West Africa. She is mostly interested in works that feature 'everyday ordinary people'. She believes they are the real creators of magic.

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bardspell - Prose Poem by Greg Patrick

  Bardspell Prose Poem By Greg Patrick   “Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghost...