Tuesday 29 June 2021

Five Wonderful Poems by Nilofar Shidmher

 



Summer Return

 

When my lights are off

and curtains drawn

you come back:

a deer grazing

on the thinning lawn

by the entrance.

I keep watching you

till you see my

hungry eyes

through the crack of the blinds. 

 

Startled, you run away,

and I hide

in my dark room,        

waiting

for winter to pass

waiting for the day

when out from

the soil of forgetfulness

the first blade

of grass grows back.

 

I let this also pass,

looking forward

to summer

so scorching hot

that your memory

of me starts thinning

thus you return,

thinking she’s gone                                                                                

and won’t be

seeking me again.


Eternal Emigration

 

Leafless November trees

shudder in rain.

Look how soon

autumn arrived

as we lay down

our roots!

 

Our roots are extended

the soil of this land thin

winter is coming.

Are we going to uproot

leave again with this freezing wind

that scatters the sailboats?

 

Rotten

 

Regret is the apple

of chance

I didn’t pick when ripe.

 

That apple

has now blackened

in my chest.

 

Eve’s apple

at whose heart

remorse gnaws

 

a fat worm.

 

Swing

 

On the warmth of my waist

lands a hand

like a butterfly

flutters its wings

propels me upward

to the apex of my desires. 

 

Eagle & Peacock

 

Every night he takes off

with me in his claws.

We rise through clouds

making them part

while heading to the summit

 

where I open my eyes

and wait

underneath the wide arc

of his wings

wait until his last breath

 

when he suddenly dives down

an arrow cutting through clouds

but before hitting the earth

I release myself

to deftly land

 

while opening my feathers

like rays

and become a rising sun

his eagle eyes cast skyward

fail to see.

 



NILOFAR SHIDMHER is a bilingual writer, poet, arts-informed research scholar, and educator. She is the author of two collections of short fiction and five books of poetry in English and Persian. Shidmehr has served three times as a Writer-in-Residence in Canada. She teaches in the Liberal Arts Program at Simon Fraser University.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere - Short Story by Duane L Herrmann

  Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere Short Story by Duane L Herrmann     “Did you hear of the tragedy at Lindisfarne, Britannia...