Thursday 10 February 2022

Two Poems by Salim Yakubu Akko

 


Grief as My Uncle

 

I've learnt how to speak in my motherland

as how a toddler learns how to walk

the language of grief

 

I was taught how to count

as how young poets reckon poetry lines

the colours of grief

 

grief is my mother tongue

the language I learnt from my childhood days

the best food I eat

 

and still, here I am

like a wingless bird

listening to its melodious songs

 

dear uncle grief

I've heard, learnt, ate &

felt you enough

 

remember, you once promised to me

if I write to you a poem

you'll leave my motherland & let us have another beginning

 

dear uncle grief

it's now a new year

& still, we're enjoying your sweet breakfast

 

for the promise you made to me

I wrote this poem for you

I beg you leave my motherland

 

dear uncle grief, remember

I am the shattered son

who worships for you



Another Beginning

 

Is when the scorching sun

Smiles at our broken hearts

 

It is the beginning that terrifies 

The tales that break our hopes

 

Like the drops of the drizzle

It comes with peace

 

Another beginning is when we open our teary eyes

Beholding a peaceful land


Salim Yakubu Akko is a Nigerian writer and poet. He has his works published/forthcoming in Applied Worldwide, World Voices Magazine, Trouvaille Review, Ice Lolly Review, ILA Magazine, Scratch Poetry Magazine, Upwrite Magazine and elsewhere. He has also been shortlisted for the 2021 Bill Ward Prize for Emerging Writers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...