Monday 14 February 2022

Three Poems by Lara Dolphin

 


Romantic Fallacy

It cannot come to good the breaking of a heart
no matter what short gains may follow

a psychologist kept in Van Cleef and Arpels
a stylist paid to cut in bangs before regret takes hold

the gym membership
the fast food carryout
poker stakes and cigarettes
aftermath of ruin

but would that these spoils
bi-products of the debaculous affair
make some useful purpose of pain and sorrow
as if increase in commerce could
replace devoted love carelessly shattered

by what sweary wisdom is destruction fed
that can ever be a blessing
when so much that we do not see has been lost
and cannot be recovered




HARKing: My Post Hoc Life

Consider a mother
who believes that a little time to herself
will increase her sense of well-being

a little time to relax and recover is all that I need
to sleep in late under freshly-clean sheets
a long, hot shower, singing in the steam
chocolate pastries for breakfast and fresh squeezed orange juice
a walk outside in the cold sunshine,
a new coating of snow underfoot
watching my breath as I exhale
yoga stretches then curling up with a good book and the cat

then the unexpected--my sense of contentment fades
I drive down my earlier thoughts
convincing myself that I knew that I would miss you
but I’ll never tell
because after all (and all along)
I was correct.



Whereby The Legacy Robe Recipient Literally Can’t Even


What can you say of a life
spent performing Newsies and Mormons
and most recently an Employee
of the World Wide Wicket Corporation?
What equity abides in learning
every line, every move of every lead part
staying in the background
never stepping into the spotlight?

When you said goodbye
to your hometown
and headed for the city,
you didn’t care what people thought.
Enrolled in dance classes
by day, you waited tables at night
hoping to be ready
when the big break came.

For what began as amusement
became ritual
honouring the chorus
and blessing the show.
So opening night you twirl in the gown
circling the stage counterclockwise
as every hand reaches out
to touch history and pride.


Lara Dolphin is an attorney, nurse, wife and mom of four amazing kids; she is exhausted and elated most of the time. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for publishing and selecting beautiful art to go with these poems.

    ReplyDelete

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...