Friday 4 February 2022

Three Sublime Poems by Rowena Newman


 

 

Sheela-Na-Gig

 

she says

I’m not open

I’ll love no one                       won’t hide

an overhanging lip

bleeds for no one

 

says I, too, have a beard

            taste it

 

touch me again

 

 

out of body                  your passion is medieval                   

a lonely glitch             superlunary

doorway         

 

a sea snake in the salted ocean

tides of luminous        bliss

 

faces in the grass                    faces in the pavement

in the               ditch                the bouquet

in the ditch                  my future

thin lines of sediment

body forgotten to all but

those who talk to stone           concentric      eyes

drift into a heart                      broken stone

 

 

I love no one, she says

I’m only stone

 

not glitch nor goddess nor eye

     every        gaze is      turned inward

in a way

isn’t that the way?

the path where my

feet fall                       on thinking clouds


 

Beautiful ice cream

 

we praise the ice creams

                        because they are not

everything

 

like a pop song

nothing means everything

                        to me  

            the ice creams

the prune porridge

the soft

fruit

beauty

like flowers

in an eye socket

pineapple and fleeting

 

 

What the leaves said

 

turn

into wild space

freshly cut

 

left

perfume of storm

apple, herb and turd

 

straight

on and up

can see the sea

 

under

bamboo

sea of yellow leaves

 

through

anxious whispers

like a packed suitcase




Rowena Newman has published poetry in Popshot Quarterly, Ink Sweat and Tears, Thanks Hun, Sundamaged, Wrongdoing, Glitchwords and other places. She is inspired by folk ballads, paint pots and trees.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...