Friday 16 June 2023

Three Poems by Laura Stamps

 



Accessorizing 

 

My friend tells me she wants a dog.  

Calls me from T.J. Maxx. Needs  

a new wallet. She does. But she  

can’t decide. Wants me to meet  

her there. Of course. I do. I like  

to shop. We find some Marc Tetro.  

His doggie handbags and wallets.  

So many different breeds. She  

buys the Chihuahua wallet. Of  

course. And now, and now. Every  

time I see it. I smile. Can’t help it.

   

 

Boy Or Girl? 

 

My friend tells me she wants a dog.  

She’d buy it sweaters. Or dresses.  

The cute ones. At PetSmart.  

A little dog to dress up. That’s  

what she wants. Buy it an entire  

wardrobe. She would. But which  

is better? Boy or girl? She can’t  

decide. Can’t. Don’t worry. I tell  

her. Follow your heart. Dogs  

choose you. That’s what they do.  

 


How To Manifest Your Dreams 

 

My friend tells me she wants a dog.  

But her husband still says No. He’s  

a stubborn man. He is. Not a problem.  

I say. A treasure map. That’s what  

she needs. We go to Hobby Lobby.  

Buy a shadowbox frame. Fill it  

with Chihuahua pictures. From dog 

magazines. Hang it in the kitchen.  

Her husband. He thinks it’s silly.  

We smile. We know better. We do.




Laura Stamps - is the author of 51 novels, novellas, short story collections, and poetry books, including “Dog Dazed” (Kittyfeather Press, 2022), “The Good Dog” (Prolific Pulse Press 2023), and “Addicted to Dog Magazines” (Impspired, 2023). Recipient of a Pulitzer Prize nomination and 7 Pushcart Prize nominations. www.LauraStampsFiction.blogspot.com   

  



1 comment:

One Poem by Victor Kennedy

  Ode on intimations of morality   I went for a ride on my Sportster this afternoon I don ’ t ride it much these days I filled it up...