Sunday 2 April 2023

Three Poems by Steve Klepetar

 



Painful Light

 

I turn away from the sky, 

its painful light at midday. 

Far away, the ocean swells. 

Another island disappears. 

My father watches

from a grassy hill. 

He has been gone 

a long time, 

and now his hands 

are on fire. 

Slowly, slowly he burns. 

When he turns away, 

I see a new scar along his cheek. 

 

And now the clouds roll in, 

the wind begins to whistle 

and scream. 

It’s a little like a dream 

I once had, 

with a tiny man cursing

the tractors and cars. 

I woke up holding you, 

as if we had slept for years, 

carving a little place 

for ourselves out of the igneous rock.


 

 

Beyond the Trees

 

It was too late to go to bed. 

Soon the sun would be rising 

 

above this field of ice. 

Crows were shivering, 

 

hopping on their wiry legs. 

All night dogs ran in circles, 

 

kicking up clouds of snow. 

I slept and woke and slept again. 

 

Now my hands have gone numb 

and I’m ready to eat.

 

Let’s spill blueberries 

into our bowls, spoon yogurt.

 

pour the coffee hot and black.

Consult your Ouija board, 

 

deal out the Taro deck. 

Is someone is coming down the drive?

 

We may need to call someone, 

though we might be better off alone. 

 

 

 

The Man in the Dark Blue Suit

 

He waits by the stoplight, 

gazing down the street blurred by rain. 

 

I’ve seen him bend at the waist, 

reach down to pick a penny from the road.

 

He holds it to his grey eyes, 

thrusts it in the pocket of his coat. 

 

Again and again he walks that route, 

hands red with cold. 

 

Once I followed at a distance, 

watched him lean against a storefront, 

 

then move on toward the harbour with his long stride. 

Last night I approached him at a bar near the ocean. 

 

There were clam shells on the floor, 

netting around the ceiling lights.

 

He placed a penny on my tongue, told my fortune 

with a voice calm and firm as a television judge.

 

“To life”, he said, patting my shoulder with a callused hand. 

“To strange and beautiful endings none of us foresaw.”





Steve Klepetar lives and writes in the Berkshires in Massachusetts.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bardspell - Prose Poem by Greg Patrick

  Bardspell Prose Poem By Greg Patrick   “Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghost...