Tuesday 25 April 2023

Five Poems by Tekisui RC

 



Memory of My Father

 

Every summer

a honey bird used to build her nest

underneath our tiled roof

in the veranda

when you were here.

 

One evening she left her nest

leaving behind the empty nest for us.

It was the last time she built her nest.

 

One afternoon in sunshine

on the lane to our home

you sang a song of drumbeats

four or five people and an owl hoot

on a stormy night in July rain.

It was the only song you always sang

and it was the last time you sang it.

 

Then you fell ill

and lay bedridden for two years.

As you lay dying

you told me stories

while I was listening to the slanting rain.

It was the last rain of the year.

 

One night in the dim light of the ward

in a public hospital you died.

 

Nowadays I often sleep during the day.

When I wake up everywhere in the room

the same dim light of the night you died.

And in the gloom one empty nest.

 

In the brittle pages yellowed with time

I no longer know what I read everyday.


 

On Love

 

As usual

five or six times

that bird sang

and her twilight song

was mine.

 

Who knows

why did that girl tell me

her house was on the bank

of a river

in one afternoon

some twenty five years ago?

 

The whole afternoon

in the shadow of a small hill

I never climbed

there were childhood flowers

I long missed.


 

Untitled

 

An old mosque

by the river.

In the graveyard

amid the green grass

tiny yellow and blue flowers

and my friend was buried here

some thirty years ago.

My friend who was kind enough

to call me brother

on one rainy afternoon.

 

Is it snowing tonight?

It is snowing.

Beyond the endless fields

on the foot of a hill

our mud house.

In the shadows of the flame

of a kerosene lamp

on the wall

a five year old boy.

Howsoever sad it maybe

I would like to return there.

And it starts raining.


 

Night Walk in Heavy Rain

 

The old man

from the hill

where I spent

my childhood

and tearful

were my eyes

when I met him

on our old street

last evening.

 

Everything in me

was just a moment

as I looked

into his eyes

just like that ant

on the wall

of a shop near us

or a leaf falling

from a corner tree

or that bird

which cast its shadow

on the page

I was quite unaware

of myself.

 

I remember

it was here

in the same place

I crossed the road

with my father

one night in rain

when I was

about a six-year-old boy

and walked

all the way

in torch light

through the lanes,

by- lanes, fields

and then took the track

zigzagging uphill

where our hut stood

waiting for us

in heavy rain.


 

Twilight Again

 

a drop fell

on the potted plant

in the yard

from a bare branch

 

an old tree

at the riverside said

twilight again

 

maybe long ago

it was written

he would end

with a thin blade

of grass

on the hillside

of his childhood

in a moment

of darkness




Tekisui RC is a poet currently based in Kozhikode, India. He also writes under the name M.A.Ramachandran. Tekisui's poetry has appeared in Lion and Lilac Magazine,Stripes Literary Magazine, Rat's Ass Review, Too Well Away Literary Journal, Arc Magazine, Setu Magazine and elsewhere. Additionally his poems have been published in three anthologies.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Poems by Jennifer Gurney

    7 Up Popsicles   One summer evening,  shortly after dinner,  we were all hanging out.  It was a typical  hot and humid summer evening  i...