Tuesday 18 April 2023

Three Poems by Keith Snow

 





She Says Bad Juju



like you do and I do, too

but she knows what it means



to be alone

to be afraid

to be thought stupid

and to be brave



she cracked three eggs

into a bowl

whipped them

diced two onions,

a yellow bell pepper

last of the bacon

put on stove

waiting for omelette to set

flame too high,

non stick pan stuck

takes off the heat

you say tough luck



she says bad juju

like I do and you do, too

but she knows

what it means

to be resourceful



switches pan

scrambles it all

stirs in spinach

sprinkles cheese

puts mixture

in oven

pulls out

frittata



She says juju

can be good, too





Saw an Iambic Meteor But it Faded



I watch my neighbour on the porch

teaching her friends the intricate dance

moves of flossing.



Stretching into decompression pants

ladies on the porch tell me

they don't match



my shirt but Adam Levine

can wear anything, he wants

I glare



into the night a woman walks

up wearing yellow highlighter

with a splash of lime.



So I say, Hi wanna rhyme?



She says "I like your smile

your mismatched style"



Wow, wanna walk with me awhile

with you I could go miles?



"Let's walk up the block

See how it goes."



I pick up stars

move them across the sky

with my toes.





My Next Piece

Before I recite my poem


a few explanations to help you understand first


Espanol means Spanish

in Spanish.

and

London Broil is a North American dish not a type of meat,

made from various tougher cuts, marinated

then cooked on high heat

on the grill or in broiler,

cut on the bias

against the grain

served rare.

Also

I was inspired, to compare

what the folks living in Harrisburg's felt

since the taco truck returned to Market Street

to


Ryan Harding's emotions once

he knew Clare was still alive

on Fox’s( now defunct) The Following.

and

pedantic comes from the french

word pedant," to teach"

a pedantic is concerned

with precision, formalism,

and minute details

in order to make

an ostentatious show

of learning.

Lastly

I wrote this on Sunday,

before I ate the last piece of fried chicken.

My pen was blue.




Keith Snow has hosted/currated a poetry reading, and been a poetry editor. He has been published most recently in Dadakuku, Lothlorien Poetry Journal online and Five Fleas. He continues to write, perform and submit to poetry mags while finding all of his voices.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bardspell - Prose Poem by Greg Patrick

  Bardspell Prose Poem By Greg Patrick   “Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghost...