Tuesday 11 April 2023

Three Poems by Santosh Bakaya

 




The Racing Horse


Memory after memory unfolds, she sees forgotten scenes.
With a hop, and a skip, the memory horse races at a canter.
She is once again a pony- tailed, impish girl in riotous teens.

Effervescent and sun- drenched amidst the verdant greens.
Throwing back her head, laughing, indulging in inane banter.
Memory after memory unfolds, she sees forgotten scenes.

.
Lovingly, she holds a tiny kitten in her arms, full of beans.
Then merrily she waltzes towards a freshly painted planter.
Looking so vibrant in her florid top and tight- fitting jeans.

She talks to the kitten, who understands what she means.
Now, I watch her from a distance- an amused bystander.
Memory after memory unfolds, she sees forgotten scenes.

.
Talking incessantly about birds, flowers and also machines. 
She is mischief personified; but calls herself an enchanter! 
Collecting books, comics, driftwood and also weird figurines.

 
The horse runs at a tired trot, wistfully eyeing the evergreens.
The images become a little crooked, a tad blurred and slanter.

Memory after memory unfolds, she sees forgotten scenes.
She is once again a pony- tailed, impish girl in riotous teens.





The Almost Drowning Ship


Ghost like specters moved around. Lackadaisical.
A floating pyre. A raft of flames. Squeaking pulleys.
A frill of ragged steel, dead engines.
Propellors, totally still.
Petrified folks choking on billowing smoke.
A fire alarm ringing. Eerie. Shrill.


I was baffled. Was I a boatswain’s mate?
The sea was a maddened beast.
I gasped as I saw a wall of water rushing towards me.
Whoosh. Swoosh. Were some demons having a feast?
Moments of suspended silence. Tense.


A flame licked my back. Crack- crack – crack!
Lightning cracked. Clouds rumbled.
Black smoke billowed.
My stomach grumbled.
I gaped aghast, at the mangled and tangled railing,
and was thrown smack into the sea, wailing, clucking.


Smack- smack- smack!
I flailed my arms, trying to calm my nerves,
wobbling up and down over the dangerous curves.
Were the waves trying to sweep me away?
No way. I could hear operators making distress calls.
I would be saved. Land ahoy!
Could I see rescue boats in the distance?
“Leave the ship. Leave it, you dunderhead!”
Chaos. Cacophony. Confusion. Clamour.
Broad- hipped pirates had surrounded the ship,
bellowing in accents clipped, dripping wet.
 

Lo and behold! The sun was out in all its fiery glory.
There under the shade of a palm tree,
stood my dream, sheathed in sunbeams bright,
fresh as a strawberry,
beckoning to me with a merry smile.
Ah, the lissome dream had saved me
from the blood- curdling nightmare.
No one could now dare to scare me.


I clung to my dream with a white- knuckled intensity,
beaming – glowing -a perfect picture of cheerful vitality.



WHEN I AM NO MORE AROUND


When I am gone,
you will find pieces of paper by my side.
Crumpled and ink- stained, also a pen without a cap,
lying in wait to catch those words which flew away
like winged birds. Hurrying and scurrying.
Like Alice's White Rabbit mumbling,
"Oh dear, oh dear, I shall be late."
And, alas, hastily tumbling away through the gate.


Just wait, when I am gone,
by my side you will find books of every kind.
Some new, some old and book- marked.
A notebook with hurried scribblings,
like feisty siblings fighting on paper.
Alas, my runaway thoughts, entangled and caught
between lines, gaping. No more able to gallop.


Words, furtively written at the dead of night
when the light no longer burnt bright.
A sleepy reprimand went unheeded
"Go to sleep, it's late."


When I am gone,
you will find splintered guffaws,
still throbbing in the air, one to the left, one to the right,
searching for words to inject meaning in those shards
of truncated mirth, once flowing untrammeled on earth.


Hey, that reminds me, when I am gone
could someone be gracious enough
to finish that incomplete quatrain of my villanelle;
no it was not tough. I merely hit a rough patch.
Kept groping for the right word, till I could grope no more.
The five tercets were good stuff, but the heart played the villain.
It stopped beating, before I could hone the quatrain.


When I go on that eternal date, you will find all these,
also, vestiges of a guiltily eaten ice-cream,
and pieces of chocolate paper
clumsily flung in the waste- paper basket.
Pitifully, missing the target.
Their glory, lying strewn around in golden smithereens.


Also a hurriedly eaten midnight feast, the least
I could do to pamper that so- called gluttonous creative beast
inside me, on an audacious nocturnal caper.


Hang on, you will also find the joker's mask under the bed.
The full bodied smiles absolutely intact
on that inert body and those lips, still red.





Santosh Bakaya - Internationally acclaimed for Ballad of Bapu, poetic biography of Mahatma Gandhi, [Vitasta, 2015], Dr. Santosh Bakaya, poet, novelist, essayist, TEDx speaker, is the recipient of the Reuel International Award for literature for her poem, Oh Hark! [2014], Setu Award, 2018, [Pittsburgh, USA] for ‘stellar contribution to world literature.’ HerTEDxTalk, Myth of Writers' Block is very popular, in creative writing groups.

Morning Meanderings is her column on Learning and Creativity website. Her more than 20 books encompass many genres.

Where are the Lilacs? [Poetry, 2016]
Flights from my Terrace [Essays, 2017 ]  
Under the Apple Boughs [Poetry,2017]  
A Skyful of Balloons [ Novella, 2018 ]  
Bring out the tall Tales [short stories with Avijit Sarkar, 2019 ] 
Only in Darkness can you see the Stars[ Biography of Martin Luther King Jr, Vitasta],
Songs of Belligerence [ Poetry, 2020]
 E-books [Blue Pencil,] Vodka by the Volga, with Dr. Ampat Koshy
From Prinsep Ghat to Peer Panjal with Gopal Lahiri are amazon # 1  bestsellers.   
Runcible Spoons and Pea-green Boats [2021]
Collaborative e-book with Ramendra Kumar, [Mélange of Mavericks and Mutants, [Blue Pencil, July 2022]

Collaborative book with Dr.Ampat Koshy, A Sonetto for the Poetic World [October 2022, AuthorsPress]



2 comments:

  1. Superbly penned. Beautiful and touching poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete

Three Poems by Cliff Saunders

  WILD ABANDON     Our hearts sing us a song, one of concentrated beauty,   one of compassionate voice, one that has shaken us ...