Tuesday 13 September 2022

Five Poems by Peter J Donnelly


 

The Taming of the Shrew - Margaret Leighton


The Shrew

 

It isn’t the one performance I’ve seen,

open air, gender-swapped, abridged,

that comes back to me 

as I read it for the first time

in twenty-one years, 

well as I remember that,

at Fountains Abbey, the day after

my final exam. Sly was Scottish,

they messed up the ending,

Bianca disappeared as the actress

was playing Petruchio as well.

 

Nor is it Burton and Taylor,

though I can just picture them now.

 

Katherina’s voice for me

will always be that of Margaret Leighton

on the Harper Collins recording

I had on two white cassettes

and wish now I had kept,

or got it on CD instead.

 

Go get thee gone,

thou false deluding slave

was the only line I thought I remembered,

as it’s printed on a postcard

I use as a bookmark 

in my book of Brontë poems.

 

It turns out there are hardly

any lines I have forgotten.

 


Services

 

These days they have Costa, M&S, Gregg's Bakers,

you can take your picnic indoors, 

once you couldn't even eat it outside on the grass.

 

You had to cross a glass bridge over the motorway

to queue for food that had stood there all morning.

You got to know them, remembered when

 

you had been there before,

like Charles Ryder coming back to Brideshead

or Maxim de Winter at Monte Carlo.

 

You'd recognise the map on the wall,

the freezer in the shop where last time

you were allowed an ice cream.

 

I used to think they were miles away

from anywhere, not near the outskirts of towns,

that people who worked there

 

had to travel for hours each day

and back. I wondered where they lived,

did they have to stop on the way?



Waking Up

 

In the night

is like stopping off

on a long journey.

You often don't

know where you are.

It's neither yesterday

nor tomorrow. Both

are hours away

like home, or the place

you're travelling to.

 

Nature calls,

you drink some water,

maybe even a cup of tea.

Look out of the window,

see cars going past,

you wonder where

they’re going.

 

Usually for me 

it's at half-past three.

I think of what I was doing

twelve hours ago,

where I was

and where I’ll be

in twelve hours’ time.     

 


Granny’s Roast Dinners

 

It was always beef, never pork or lamb.

It felt like Sunday lunch time but could have 

been four o’clock during the week,

perhaps Good Friday or the day after Boxing Day.

 

I learnt years later she used cornflour 

in her gravy but I’ll never know

her secret ingredient for Yorkshire puddings,

which always rose - except once.

 

Dessert, if there was one, was mandarin oranges

or mandeerian, as she said it,

in orange jelly, maybe with ice-cream. 

You had to save room for afternoon tea

 

or in our case more lemonade or cola,

chocolate bars or the icing and marzipan

from a Christmas or anniversary cake

somebody else had baked.



My Second Letter to Rosemary

 

You didn’t receive the first one

written nearly thirty years ago,

sent to the address of an R Sutcliff

that I found in the phone book

after I was told you lived in York.

Someone must have got it,

but they didn’t return it

though at thirteen I knew

to write my address on the back.

My school librarian must have been 

thinking of some other children’s author,

I can’t imagine who. You had died 

about three months previously,

but I didn’t read newspapers then -

just your books. Even new copies

had gone to print while you still lived.

It must have been the following year

after I had grown out of them

that I came across one in a shop

or library and learned from the first page

that you’d passed away in 1992,

the year I’d started reading you.

I hadn’t grown out of writing stories

though I never started the one I’d planned

about my local White Horse

after reading Sun Horse Moon Horse

and I’ve never yet been to Uffington. 




Peter J Donnelly lives in York where he works as a hospital secretary. He has a degree in English Literature and a MA in Creative Writing from the University of Wales Lampeter. He has been published in various magazines and anthologies, including Lothlorien, Dreich, One Hand Clapping, High Window, Black Nore Review and Southlight. He was a joint runner up in the Buzzwords Open Poetry Competition in 2020 and won second prize in the Ripon Poetry Festival Competition in 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...