Thursday 22 September 2022

Five Poems by David Leo Sirois


 


Night-blooming jasmine

 

Faint traces

                   of sun

hang

        on the horizon

as heavens dim

                          to indigo rhythms

 

Alone

          no more

as stars begin

                       to populate

my spirit

              & nothing moves

inside my head

 

Where else

                   can I die

each night

                  turning

with the blue absolute

                                   releasing

               the most ancient fear

 

Night-blooming jasmine

                                      flourishes

in the moon's largess of light

                                       

Petals

         Pale stars

 

                  offer

a humbled honey scent

                           to anyone

awake

           in this sweating

                         greenhouse

 

I lose my hands

                         to long branches

 


 

Nectar Is the Best Medicine

 

Dearest Ghost,

whose name

I've never known,

tell me what you wish

to teach at this time…

 

David, the world leans its loud mind

against our windows,

puts us in a trance of trepidation,

a palpable presence in our heads

fed on statistics of illness

& images of violent unrest ~

sword to wield against ourselves,

threaten our weakest moments

with wounds of uselessness,

& cowardice,

as we exile our own power

because we can’t see we have any.

 

We are not the slain victims

of the nightly news report,

catalog of atrocities that keep us

held by beds where we don’t

want to wake up yet,

threatened by the thought

of what the day ahead harbors,

duties done with distaste

& frightful surprises

that might hide in blind spots.

 

What are you afraid of, David?...

 

You meet that question with mute musings.

The deepest answer is “Nothing.”

 

Thread the eye of your heart’s needle

with the string of continuous awareness,

& stitch a richer fabric of reality

than what you now wear

as worldly work uniform,

customary costume.

 

We are all cut from the same cloth…

 

Bring your attention to the baseline of

your humanness ~ skin, bone & blood.

Heart which still beats its bass drum.

Mind which makes you see what you believe.

Our souls are steeped in light that turns the universe.

 

Underneath the showy poet costume

of the character you play

on the stage of the spoken world,

jacket, top hat, & twilight dress-shirt

unbuttoned down to your heart ~

far behind your indigo eyes

shines fluid, formless Consciousness…

 

Seven billion minds

of people planted on this planet,

but only one Awareness.

 

Inner lantern we all carry...

 

Behind its fiery presence,

& the driftwood of history in our heads,

plus the endless train of

anxious anticipations…

 

Pause to turn within

& taste the fresh nectar

of God’s intoxicating, hypnotic silence.

 

 

Sacred Sound

 

“How far did you want to open the door?

We have a lot of ghosts in store,”

said a faceless voice

in my lightning dream.

 

How far can the door

to the unseen safely open,

without being swung ajar

hard in wild winds,

to break its glass on brick?

 

How far can I go forward

thinking I walk alone?

How long can I, hermit poet, be blind

to my dependence on other human beings? 

 

Forgotten farmers harvested the plants I eat,

factory workers fabricated my shoes,

& women saw the saint in me

when I was a sluggish drunk…

all of whom helped bring me here,

intact, alive, a survivor

supported by lovers

& nameless laborers.

 

How many of my fleshless ancestors

look for a living voice? How many words

were left unsaid, & how vital,

that they must clamber over the

world’s obscure doorstep,

re-enter the warm human Earth

to find a home inside our hearing,

a nest on which to rest

the wild birds of wise words?

 

As they say in Germany,

“Who opened the door?”

Which is to say, how did all

these ghosts enter to haunt the sunlight?

 

The stage door that opens onto

a private green room of ghosts,

bodiless souls filled with ripe words

like the countless seeds of a pomegranate…

let’s let it open one poem at a time,

so it does not consume the flesh

of my youth & health,

the fate of Edward Cayce ~

let it never shorten my life.

 

The mortal will is never satisfied

with life inside itself alone,

but must open its stone column

at both ends, & let divine breath

freely fill its flute with music,

empty of self & full of love.

 

I allow the Ghost to come in

from off in the stage’s wings.

 

David, soften your brow,

let go of tension’s grip

that holds your shoulders high.

 

What would 3:33am be

without a spirit’s visit

to stir your summer room’s

still-warm air?

I won’t stay long.

 

Know that the only valid thing

on which to spend the valued coins

of time’s ticking seconds

are practices that clean

the windows of your Consciousness.

 

See ~ when you spent

30 of your night minutes

to chant in Sanskrit,

only then could you hear me.

 

The silence that absorbed you

after the last prayer’s praise & petition

offered a space for my voice.

 

When you drank the daylight hours

into a dull, drowsy daze,

how could you have heard

my crying out?

 

Now let the doors of your perception

stay open wide a while longer.

 

You became strong enough to surrender

after being engaged in God’s names

& power for half an hour.

 

In order to let go

of driftwood you let float

upon your mind’s original silence,

you instead held onto divine sound

for a space in time.

 

Since your unquiet thoughts have dissolved,

I can share with you a few final words:

to release the crows of thoughts that chain you,

all your private words of prey,

hold on tight to one good thought ~

your life-sustaining, grace-bestowing mantra,

Om Namah Shivaya ~

“I bow to Shiva, the auspicious one, the supreme Self” ~

words of infinite resonance,

strength & palpable grace,

the sound-body of God.

 


Rotting Rue Dejean

 

Crowded as a rich man’s funeral,

our short cobblestone street's an ashtray,

lined with crushed plastic espresso cups.

 

Here fish & flesh are sold,

as well as things

that grow somehow out of soil.

 

Limp damp cardboard boxes,

cracked peanut shells,

& corn cob corpses

mask this half-pedestrian street

after each day's manic market.

 

Packed madly among men

who bark back & forth

or into handheld screens,

as the bells of La Basilique du Sacre Coeur

spread a soft sonic blanket

over all this plastic madness.

 

Dusk drowns rue Dejean

in colourless leftover water

sprayed to clean the street.

 

On this rotting road

my voice was lost long ago.

Haven’t heard myself speak today.    

Don't remember when I last sang.

I can't stand my loud mind.

 

I spend profound nights

destroying what remains of me. 

 

Rue Dejean makes its final facial expression

after the last fish or fruit is sold.

 

In every citizen of Earth,

our human constitution is the same.

Hunger always has a hard name.

 

Show me your apples of the earth,

& I will take what I can get –

then run as far away

as these broken shoes

will take my wet feet. 

 

 

From Words Heard or Seen in Dreams

II.

“Who are you?”

“I don't know.”

“Then what the hell are you supposed to be?”

“Better & better.”

 *

 “I want to buy you

& keep you

from committing suicide.”

*

“One day she just stopped coming down from her room.

I realized ~ now I have to be the one

to make music in this house.”

 *

 “Do you mind living in a haunted house?”

 *

 “The day she split

was a splintery wooden day.”

*

“People wonder where she’s gone. She isn’t gone at all.”

*

“Her head bowed down

hung ripe as prayer

from broken branches.”

 *

 “Does it have to be hard to design words?”

 *

 “If you are not in the sequence of the heart, what next?”

 *

 “You want to learn about life? Life is school.”

 

 “I need you,

& I need your needs in threes,

like dreams.”

 *

“33 is the resting place

of the Now & seen.”

*

“Remember creativity.

It's better than thinking

about the next infomercial.”

*

“David Leo Sirois is a child-version of a writer.”

*

“I can’t write fast enough!”

*

 “You have your mission accomplished.”

*

“Work is a family matter.”

*

“How can you sleep so long,

when all this is going on?”

*

“It’s all a mystery of verse,

a cipher of syllables.”

 *

“Nature’s not going to interrupt

your story. Don’t let it

stop your song.”

 *

“The babies lived not alone,

nor to be alone,

or else they would have died.”

*

“Hold onto your brain when you go upstairs.”

*

“Don't suffer from

lack of patience

for the encouragement of dreams.”

*

“This is all about birds…

but we’ll try not to leave

a frog in the kitchen.”

*

“Leo is not doing well.

He was meditating this morning,

& he asked himself,

‘Am I going to die?’”

 *

 “If you’re going to die, switch meat.”

*

“It just appeared here. I can’t even give it a name.”

“Manifestation.”

*

“What are you going to sing? If you can.”

“I’m going to sing.”

*

“Hanuman, please lead

me where I need

to be.”

“Bleu”

*

“Raise lyricism to the point of pure transcendence.”

*

“Are you watching me make mistakes?”

“From here on in, I will always watch over you.”

*

 “Love helps all the work get done.”

*

“People who rise up will gather.”

 

 


David Leo Sirois is a Canadian-American poet published 134 times, in 21 countries. His work has been translated into 12 languages (Hindi, Bengali, Nepali, French, German, Czech, Spanish, Greek, Romanian, Chinese, Turkish, & Doric). He hosts Spoken World Online, the Zoom continuation of SpokenWord Paris. His first collection is called Humbledoves (poems to pigeons & plants). He won Third Prize in Winning Writers' Wergle Flomp Humor Poetry Contest, & his poetry has appeared in journals such as The Bombay Review, The Poetry Village, One Hand Clapping, Indian Periodical, The Sunday Tribune Online, THE BASTILLE, & Terre à Cièl (which also published his translations from the French). David is often featured at global events, such as the Panorama International Literature Festival, & 100 Thousand Poets for Change, as well as in many international podcasts & interviews. He is also a singer/songwriter, radio DJ, & a film/TV/theater actor. He is currently submitting 5 finished manuscripts for publication, & writing several more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...