Sunday 10 July 2022

One Poem by Stephen House


 

(my) answers

 

someone intelligent told me

not to worry about (my) no formal education

 

intelligence comes from the journey of life

observations and interactions

risks and adventures that led to further

analysis and reflection on all encountered

that could never be learnt from teacher or book

 

someone beautiful told me

not to worry about (my) flawed appearance

 

beauty is seen by those who see all

lines worn deep from laughter and pain

devotion to those loved throughout life

comfort of self-shining within

a look that is pure individuality

 

someone spiritual told me

not to worry about (my) own devised faith

 

a spiritual life is born from enquiry

rituals and meditations created to suit

explorations into all ways of devotion

roads sought and conclusions arrived at

a knowledge of Supreme that is in no doctrine

 

someone famous told me

not to worry about (my) work going unnoticed

 

achievements seen by few can still be mammoth

quiet acclaim is acclaimed still the same

offering oneself to a greater realm

being recognised as unique by however many

stays in the minds of those with perception 

 

the someone who told me not to worry is me

within him (my) answers to everything dwell

 

no one can tell me what i know or don’t know

though it’s easy to think all knowledge is held

by everyone else who thinks that they know

but i listen carefully to that someone called me

for i know well that me and i trust him to know




Stephen House has won many awards and nominations as a poet, playwright and actor, including two Awgie Awards from The Australian Writer’s Guild, Rhonda Jancovic Poetry Award for Social Justice, and The Goolwa Poetry Cup, and nominations including, a Greenroom Best Actor Award, Tom Collins Poetry Prize, Patrick White Playwright Award and Queensland Premier’s Drama Award. He’s received several international literature residencies from The Australia Council for the Arts and an Asia-link India residency. His chapbook “real and unreal” was published by ICOE Press. He has two more books out soon. He performs his acclaimed monologues widely.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere - Short Story by Duane L Herrmann

  Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere Short Story by Duane L Herrmann     “Did you hear of the tragedy at Lindisfarne, Britannia...