Wednesday 6 July 2022

Five Poems & Three Haiku by Christina Martin


 

To the Lake

 

Only forward

My steps on the crushed grass

Uncertain as I close the gate

I move alone, my ears

Full of the sound of the clicking of that gate

A final time before this journey

For which I carry nothing on my back

A flow a wind against my face

The scent of the forest before me.

I will  never return.

 

Only forward

Over pine and moss

A depth of air held back

Breath held as I pass

Atmosphere of stone and ancient green

Grey boulders tumbled

From an ice age of mammoths

Gone untold enfolded in

A roll of years

I move

 

Only forward

My eyes flinching neither to left nor right

My lamp, my heart, alone

Here, the earth silent

Smelling of worms and flowers

Saplings lean out, the forest

Watching knowing my intent

Stretching to scratch my eyes

My hands my feet

I stumble.

 

Only forward

Through the hollow dark

Kicking at roots; a column of light

Frees my eyes from their webs

To leave the glistening drops of night;

A door opening, a drift of hope

A sound of moonlight

On water, a lake

A cloudless mirror a bell

With a song I have already learned.

 

A still white hind stands beside it

Sipping, like the moon perfecting her rituals

Or a goddess waiting for death.

 

 

Breath After Rain

 

Pea flowers in the after-rain

small drops of cream,

rock in the breeze. 

But I want to look without looking

know without learning

be without being born.

 

In a still moment

know the life of the pea flower that is mine,

hold still the clock hands.

 

It is all here

all here in the palm of my hand

the skin of my flesh

and the air and the soil,

the sky and the stars

 

pea flower and I

with all, one.

 

 

Arms of the Sun

 

All the best of me

hangs in the bend of a leaf

a supple green in and out

of the shadow

 

fine lines of a highway

to that other world of silence

the world of soundless singing

and all the ancient tales

 

of sacred mirrors,

when the gods walked

over the mountains

and in the falls fish were oracles.

 

The gods still pass by

but our eyes are misted

our ears hollow with

too much knowledge

 

and we see them only in dreams.

Awakening, our hearts are

amazed with joy, our arms are the sun,

with all the power of the gods once more.

 

 

Flow Green

 

Deep in the green,

the flow of cool breath soft and slow

over my hands and twining round my arms

leaf stems that weave a blanket for my heart.

 

Buried down, deep

among the welcoming leaves

mysteries clothe my eyes in sleep.

Waking, no more fears, but only light.

 

 

Dream Street

 

Overlapped layers of violet night

in folds, lying heavy on the street

pour murmuring sleep into cracks of houses

rubbing at windows, creaking at doors

blanketing children who sigh in their beds.

Beginnings and endings in the gentle hour

muffled by the stirring night air.

 

Deep on the street a burrowing whisper

in the rustling leaves crinkled by cold

is lightly just heard, just above heartbeat,

round falls of half-thoughts left on the pillow.

Soft fog curling a carpet for dancing

Silently beckons for souls to greet

For the dance to begin on the long silent street.

 

 

three sea haiku

 

in the wet sand

indents of toes

where gulls have been

 

a sea of milk

creeps against the shore

early morning kittiwakes

 

the lakeside swoop of

black-headed gulls

swedish summer




Christina Martin lives in West Wales and takes her inspiration from the sea and the natural world, finding the magical and strange in much of life.  Her poetry has been publishes in various journals including Nature Writing Magazine, Light, Presence, Wales Haiku Journal, Failed Haiku and Lothlorien Poetry Journal.  She has published two adventure novels in the magical realism genre, as well as three collections of poetry, a novella and a collection of short stories and a short book of meditations on nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Poems by Jennifer Gurney

    7 Up Popsicles   One summer evening,  shortly after dinner,  we were all hanging out.  It was a typical  hot and humid summer evening  i...