Thursday 14 July 2022

Five Poems by Rose Mary Boehm

 


A good day for love in Madrid

 

We curved and cursed

along new motorways,

wrong exits and eccentric

signposts. They’d hidden

that place where my old van

would be inspected for

road-worthiness and get that

coveted sticker ‘to be

displayed at all times’.

 

We finally got to sit

on those hot silver metal

chairs under the trees

on the Alcalá. ‘Two beers

and two gaspachos, por favor.

Make sure they’re cold.’ High noon

on the Castilian plateau.

The thermometer painted by Dali.

 

You had come half way around

the world to seek me, you said.

Those ice-cold Spanish beers

I’d thought more likely. A study

in amber and frosted opaque.

For a nano moment our hands

stuck to the glass.

 

Life became good again

under that ancient Acacia.

The occasional car hissed by

on the softening asphalt.

Aliens in air-conditioned tin cans.

Darkened windows closed.

 

There are no monkeys in Madrid’s

Acacias, I think. Still, aimed with precision,

a hard projectile splashed into my

soup from somewhere up high

in the canopy of leaves. From

shock to helpless laughter

I arpeggioed the full register

of emotions an ice-cold

gazpacho produces when it

splatters against your hot face,

sloshes all over your best whites,

and drenches your hair,

lavishly coiffed to impress the

potential lover.

 

I swear I heard a snicker

in that tree, and when I’d

wiped my eyes I saw your mirth

and fell for you.

 

 

Aum Manu Padme Hum

 

It’s not working. Have sweated

over it. Like a poor soul at heaven’s door

with a sledgehammer.

 

The others seem to be chosen. Golden

bridges, starlight, angels… All I ever

see is Marga’s buttocks.

Aum. Ohm. Oooomygawd.

 

Hum. I shift from lotus. My knees

hurt. My mind wanders. I kick the waves

walking along that North Sea island

beach. The waves eat my feet. Not

in an angry way. I look down at

the stumps where my feet used

to be and hop through the dry sand.

 

My hands in the pockets of the

too large shorts my brother lent

me. I need them for balance,

but the pockets hold them fast

with black rubber teeth. I fall

into one of those rock pools

 

where a transparent thing with legs

and big eyes is soon eating my thighs.

Takes big bites. I am relieved there

is no pain. The sun burns the top

of my scalp. Five vultures shift

from one foot to the other in ennui,

sure that I’ll give in soon. I can read

their minds. A seagull startles me.

Tries to peck at my right eye.

 

The tide is going out. My thighs

are numb. A voice gently asks me to open

my eyes. No way. That seagull isn’t very far.

 

 

Dead machines


At night, in the headlights ,

we see it at the entrance

to the dump, slightly off centre:

the washing machine,

gleaming white in the dark,

invested with importance.

 

We pray that it grant us

success and everlasting life.

Until we find new gods.

 

On a field dusty with grey

we discover the burial grounds.

Tractors, diggers, generators...

 

Bow deep and worship,

and grant us this day

our daily breath.

 

 

Goose lessons

 

1

Each flying goose creates

an uplift for the next bird.

The V-formation adds seventy-two

percent flying reach for each bird.

 

2

When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot,

two geese follow it down to protect it.

 

3

At Oklahoma State they study geese.

Discovered the ultimate in

supply satisfying demand:

the larger flocks will fly

to where more geese are eaten,

and where demand for geese is

less, the smaller flocks will settle.

 

4

Max Hauser died.

He was alone, no wings.

Fell out of a twelfth-floor

window one late afternoon

in the Tokyo Ward Shinagawa City.

It made me sad to think

I’d never met him

and I didn’t care.

 

 

Some of My Rains

 

Warm rain in the Caribbean,

giant bathtub abruptly

turned over by a tropical giant.

Rain that hurts. Rain that washes

away topsoil, flattening crab claw,

golden trumpet and scorpion orchid,

leaving the waxrose gasping for air,

fills all dents in every hotel patio.

Tennis courts become square lakes

of reddish, sandy mud. Every passing

car’s a drencher. Take off your sandals.

Let your feet transmit the moment

when a god created water and land.

A stifling thirty-eight degrees in the shade,

sabotaged for a brief, exulted moment,

soon reclaims its protagonism.

 

A dry spell on the Castilian plateau. Earth

crust breaks like freshly baked bread. All greens

from spring and early summer dusted ashen

by hot winds. The sky turns a metallic grey,

eucalyptus whisper urgent messages to

the poplars who bow deeply in acquiescence.

Fat drops explode on the patio roof, cut through the

pines, leave welts on the soil. Soon the rains break.

The world smells of summer

and wounded earth.

 

Squishing from the soggy wooden terrace

to the overflowing frog pond. Grasses bend

under the weight of the constant drizzle

of an English summer. Brushing past the dripping

hollyhock, it shakes its droplets onto my hair.

Peony’s heads hang low, the song thrush

shelters in the blackthorn. The shed’s rusted

door hinges whine. From my poisonous-orange

slicker dried earth from last year is washing off.

Into sudden silence the song thrush trills

an acknowledgement of a forgotten afternoon sun.

 

In the Peruvian coastal desert people know the

word ‘rain’. Sometimes a Lima cloud forgets its

miserliness and spits a little water.

Worn stone gets slippery. 

 


Rose Mary Boehm is a German-born British national living and writing in Lima, Peru. Her poetry has been published widely in mostly US poetry reviews (online and print). She was twice nominated for a Pushcart. Her fifth poetry collection, DO OCEANS HAVE UNDERWATER BORDERS, has been published by Kelsay Books and should be on Amazon in two weeks time. https://www.rose-mary-boehm-poet.com/

-Rosmarie Epaminondas (Rose Mary Boehm)


http://houseboathouse.blogspot.com/
http://www.bilderboehm.blogspot.com/
https://www.rose-mary-boehm-poet.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR9fygcz_kL4LGuYcvmC8lQ

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...