Monday 11 July 2022

Five Poems by Helga Kidder


 

Closing In

 

It thunders like a freight train

rolling toward me,

a bowling ball hitting pins,

scattering, cars crashing

metal flying, glass splinters flashing

through air like lightning.

It thunders like a trumpet calling

all nations for judgment. 

A lion, a bear growling,

like cymbals clashing.

I listen to the drum roll,

the crescendo of clouds brawling,

tumbling over chairs,

fists knocking the table of cards

stacked with memory.

When thunder rumbled through

our town, mother lit a candle,

crossed her chest, called me to prayer. 

Earth shifting below the runes

of branches, the house walls,

windows clattering. It thunders

like the murmur of millions

grovelling beneath the black sky.

 

 

When Rain Speaks

 

                        after Edna St. Vincent Millay

 

Upended, my purse spills contents like clouds

spill rain full of ghosts tonight.  They saw me

through the window of imagination, ambled

toward me, tiny bells around their necks, nosing

the glass.  They came through the blue of catnip,

salvia, hydrangea, gently like cats, those child

ghosts of shootings, of forgetfulness that a life

is irreplaceable.  They call to me between rain

and rush of wind, knocking on the sliding door.

They ask me to stop the minds and hands

pulling a trigger to kill. I listen to the crackle

of my candle as they pad away through hostas

below the magnolia, slashed into a totem pole

by disaster I will continue to pray against.  

 

 

Listening

 

                 Friends, Romans, Countrymen

                    lend me your ear

                                                Mark Antony

 

Give me your ear,

sharp as a pocket knife,

cutting sound when opening

the door, my channel of listening

buried in the ground.

Give me your anvil, hammer,

and stirrup, forger of words

galloping through meadows,

hoofbeats, not praise.

When my tongue faults

your spiral, the coil, the hinge,

even in stillness you are faithful

the magnolia leaf turns,

the ant waxes a peony bud,

blades of grass quivering

in the hands of a breeze.

Give me prayers that ransom

the sin inside you, the tone

ambitious of a melody you crave

to soothe the heart that mourns.

Give me your ear for tasting

vintage, fluid intonations,

rouching the satin of a coffin.

But at night give way

to grief whispered

as our souls seek each other.

Latch the door. 

 

 

Symphony in Four Movements

 

                        I.

Our garden’s woodwinds carry time,

runs of a clarinet, birdsong.

Hostas spread leaves, impatiens, roses,

grass glissando in sun,

and the magnolia pries open

folds of creamy buds.

 

                        II.

The house, a shelter in glum weather,

a drum’s beating backbone of two stories,

the lower, the upper, the loft.

In the kitchen spoons and forks

and knives chime like a glockenspiel.

The bedroom’s pillows and comforters

coddle our bodies in sleep, a garden

blooming dreams.

 

                        III.

Family, a waltz whirling us

around the rooms we breathe in,

our voices like violins,

high-pitched or lento.

Laughter swings from chandelier

to couch lessening chills

as the world chafes our souls. 

 

                        IV.

Garden, house, family – a crescendo

of movements this orchestra plays

to the last breath, a ride and crash

of cymbals.  Listen to the harmony

we conduct swaying inside us.

 

 

Dear Scale

 

Standing on your podium,

I implore your numbers,

please give me your lowest

digits.  Forget about

the doors I opened

to ginger-pear skillet cake,

tacos, and a jar

of nougat.  Forget about

the chips I dipped

in sour cream last night

watching Netflix.

Just once lift off

what weighs me down:

anger, hateful words,

stubbornness. But keep

truth and lovingkindness

flowing through me

so I can easily pour it

into the world.




Helga Kidder lives in the Tennessee hills where she feeds the birds, shushes neighbours' cats away, and writes poetry.  Co-founder of the Chattanooga Writers Guild, she leads a monthly poetry group. Her poems have recently been published in Conestoga Zen, Poetry South, Black Moon Magazine, and others. She has five collections of poetry, Wild Plums, Luckier than the Stars, Blackberry Winter, Loving the Dead which won the Blue Light Press Book Award 2020, and Learning Curve - poems about immigration and assimilation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...