Sunday 17 January 2021

Five Poems by Fotoula Reynolds

 



Harmony

 

All that is not yet spoken

Is written between the

Pages of two and three

In the language of our time

Words enter my soul

Like a verbal tattoo

 

The son of Saul

Desperately seeks

A Greek rabbi

 

Bless the dead

Bless the living

Pray upon the iconography

Don’t worship the in-between

The calla lily signifies departure

Grief hypnotizes like absence seizures

 

My voice is blind in the starlight

Hymns vibrate in my sternum

Harmony between body and spirit

 

 

Almost found

 

In crystal waters

Tears drop and stagnate

 

Watermelon-pink coral

Embedded in grains of sand

 

A lone sea-star glistens

Home is a rock-pool

 

Unreachable sounds fade

Echo beach lost in a shell

 

Atlantis is (not) a myth

Poseidon’s trident rattles earth

 

 

 The sting of revelations

 

As words lift off the page and

Into my breath, sound and body

I begin to hear beauty and meaning

In the cosmos of exposed souls

 

Arm in arm

In the pearly rain

You call me back with your song

The truth is as bare as my hand

 

On the tips of my bleeding fingers

I fall silent in my shedding skin

I watch my own regrowth with sting

When will the pain wane?

 

 

 Achromatic

 

The storm arrived

It changed the day

From a golden glow

To a colour without colour

 

Mother says

 

Close your eyes and dream of

A garden filled with sunflowers

Put one hand on your heart

And one on the trunk of a tree

 

Like moshaereh, you are now

In the fine company of poetry

 

 

 Language floats

 

 Language floats and curls in the air

We catch words with freedom

Clouds hold our thoughts

Solitude is a self-love

Skywrite a dream

Angels visit us

Flowers rain

How time

Fly’s by

Gone

 



Fotoula Reynolds is a retired Education Support Aide. She lives in the Dandenong Ranges in southern Australia and began writing poetry in 2016. She regularly participates in spoken word events in and around the city of Melbourne.

She is the author of three poetry collections – The Sanctuary of my Garden, Silhouettes and Along the Macadam Road. She is published in four Australian poetry anthologies and her poems appear internationally in magazines, journals and reviews (online and print).

Fotoula is a 2019 Pushcart Prize nominee.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...