Sunday 28 March 2021

Three Poems by Julie Stevens


 


U-Turn

 

Days can lead to sharp places

where each step scrapes the rising blade

of troubles known to alarm.

 

Moments that set the hour on fire

hunting feelings and throwing them

to heartless flames.

 

They always take me when I

least expect, journey into grief

rotting behind a content mind.

 

I will gather the storms and throw them

down the river of hurt,

no callous air will ruin my day.


 

Only at Night

 

When I sleep it’s gone,

sometimes.

 

I have a different make-up

wear feet that skim the ground

and run to dreams I miss.

 

I climb galaxies of hope

wrap them round my shoulders

and sail without ever holding on.

 

There’s a light filling the air

I hear everyone is well,

I know there is no slow.

 

Under sheets I lie believing

glide along the night

and rise with everything intact.

 

When I step on the carpet

the room always vanishes,

there’s never a wing to guide me in.


 

Step into the Dark

 

Let the sun cover us and warm our leave

keep the air safe from death’s call,

guide us on this lonely road.

Our walk outside is shackled with fear

bells of peace no longer sound,

roads falling lower than a foot’s touch.

Life drags us along

to taste this unknown war;

tepid steps building fire.

 


 

Julie Stevens writes poems reflecting the impact MS has on her life, as well as other topics close to her heart. Her poems have recently been published in Sarasvati (Indigo Dreams), Dodging the Rain, The Honest Ulsterman and Nymphs. Her debut chapbook Quicksand was published by Dreich in September 2020. Website: www.jumpingjulespoetry.com, Twitter @julesjumping.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...