Tuesday 26 March 2024

Three Poems by Anila Bukhari

 



Distinctive face

 

I was born into a family of beauty and charm,

But I was the odd one out, with a distinctive face.

My hair wasn't long and black, but short and brown,

My skin was not fair, but a deep shade of brown.

 

But I never let it get to me, for I had a good heart,

I believed that beauty lies in how we play our part.

But the world is cruel, it judges by appearance,

And my siblings' beauty only heightened my look.

 

They mocked and teased, made fun of my skin,

They didn't see the pain, the hurt I was in.

I felt alone in a crowd, my heart shattered and bruised,

For being born different, I was always abused.

 

I tried to change, with herbal remedies in hand,

But my skin remained the same, I didn't understand.

I hid from the world, I didn't sit in public,

For fear of being judged, for not being like the others.

 

But the hardest emotion, was feeling ugly and unloved,

By my family, who couldn't see beyond the front.

I had a good heart, but that didn't seem to matter,

For beauty was the only thing that could make me better.

 

But I refuse to be defined by societal standards,

For my worth lies in more than just my appearance.

I am beautiful, with or without society's approval,

And I will not let their hurtful words break my spirit, not at all.

 

So I stand tall, with my head held high,

For I am more than just the colour of my skin, I will not comply.

I am the first born child, and I will claim my place,

With my unique beauty and my kind heart, I am an extraordinary grace.

 

 

Dangerous Game

 

A Girl whose love was torn apart.

She conceived of love as a dangerous game,

But nonetheless, her heart was set aflame.

 

She loved a boy with all her might,

But he didn't feel the same in sight.

She longed to spend time with him,

But he was distant, her chances slim.

 

With each rejection, her heart would pain,

But she kept her feelings, a secret to retain.

She would cry in silence, her face in her hands,

As she listened to music, her heart in bands.

 

She couldn't focus on her skin or health,

Her thoughts consumed by thoughts of his stealth.

She skipped meals, her worry grew,

For the boy she loved, but never knew.

 

Years went by, and she still felt the pain,

But she realized she had to break the chain.

She took a stand, and left the past behind,

For she deserved happiness, she would find.

 

She questioned herself, why love someone,

Who didn't see her worth, and make her undone.

She picked herself up, and became a champion,

Forgetting the boy who caused her such pain.

 

She learned to love herself, and pursue her dreams,

No longer relying on someone else's schemes.

She found true happiness, within her own soul,

And in the end, she was whole.

 

So let this be a lesson, to all who feel,

That love can hurt, and make you reel.

But don't let it break you, or make you weak,

For you are strong, and you can seek.

 

The love that you deserve, in someone who sees,

Your worth and beauty, and loves you effortlessly.

So hold your head up, and hold your heart tight,

For in the end, everything will be alright.

 

 

Pink Roses

 

For years, I've lived among the roses,

Their splendour a sight to behold,

But now, my emotions have changed,

And my heart is growing cold.

 

Once, I loved their sweet fragrance,

Their petals soft and red,

But now, I feel a sense of pain,

And tears are often shed.

 

I used to read in my storybooks,

That life was like a bed of roses,

But now, I understand the truth,

And how life often imposes.

 

I used to love the pink roses,

Their fragrance could touch my soul,

But now, I see them as the cause,

Of both my pain and pleasure.

 

For every time I receive a rose,

I feel both love and hate,

For though they're so beautiful,

They can also seal my fate.

 

With long stems and fresh fragrance,

They may seem perfect and pure,

But when I look deeper inside,

I see something much more obscure.

 

For those whom I give my precious rose,

Do not always return the love,

And my heart is left broken,

And my soul feels less of.

 

But still, I can't help but love,

The roses that I hold dear,

For they have been with me through it all,

Through laughter, love, and fear.

 

From birth until death, they are my constant,

My faithful companion through life,

And though sometimes they may cause pain,

They also bring me light.

 

So, though my feelings may be confused,

And my heart may break and heal,

I will always have a love for roses,

For they are a part of me, I feel.

 

 



 

Anila Bukhari - With passion and determination, Anila Bukhari shines as a guiding light in Pakistan, fighting for the rights of children, empowering women, and promoting peace. She has left an unforgettable imprint in the literary world, with six books and five international anthologies published, her poetry transcending borders and captivating readers in 16 different languages across 50 countries. Anila's journey as a writer started at a young age of 16 and she has since then used her gift to educate over 1000 orphaned children through online platforms. Her words not only shed light on the issues faced by humanity but also offer solutions, spreading hope and positivity to all who read them. Through her project "Hopeful Hugs," Anila has brought joy to the lives of over a thousand homeless individuals, offering them comfort and love through simple acts of kindness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Jan Coulter

  Our Demise   Night stars rend the moon in two, with ragged sword of experience.   Her edges raw and sharp are bleeding a...