Friday 1 March 2024

Five Poems & Four Short Poems by Jennifer Gurney

 



Starfish Tattoo

 

Growing up in Michigan,

I used to love walking the beach with my dad,

looking for Petoskey stones.

Those millions-of-years-old fossilized coral

that lived along the shores of Lake Michigan

when that part of the country was

covered by ocean.

When dry,

they look like an ordinary gray, smooth rock.

But when touched by water,

the intricate hexagonal fossil

emerges in a magical revealing of history.

 

Flash forward.

 

20 years later,

after another career entirely,

I was starting a teacher training program.

On opening day,

my mentor read us a story that went something like this.

A boy was standing on a beach,

which was covered with starfish.

The boy was gently, thoughtfully throwing

the starfish back into the water,

one at a time.

A man came up to the boy and said,

“You can stop doing that.

They’re just going to wash back

up onto the shore and die.

What you’re doing doesn’t matter.”

 

The boy,

holding a starfish in his hand, replied,

“It matters to this one,”

as he tossed it into the ocean.

 

The story helped us realize

that although the work we do as teachers

can feel overwhelming at times,

if we keep the starfish in our sites,

we will know in our hearts and in our minds

that it matters to this one.

And we’ll keep going.

 

A few years later,

after I was in to my teaching career,

I got hooked on tattoos

after a lifetime of thinking I’d never have one.

I got introduced to them in the book series

Divergent

and my life was changing and unfolding

in different directions that year.

I was entranced by tattoos.

Still am.

They can be art and beautiful.

They say something meaningful

about various times in a life.

 

So I started thinking of getting one myself.

It didn’t take long to weave together

the memories of walking the beaches with my dad

and the message of the starfish.

My art-teacher friend designed it and

I went to a local tattoo shop to have it

inked on my ankle.

Each time I see it,

I’m reminded of positive,

wholesome,

uplifting memories.

It matters to this one.

 


When Death Comes Swiftly

 

when death comes swiftly

there’s blessing in the

gentle passing

 

but

 

when death comes swiftly

we have less time

for goodbyes

 

and

 

when death comes swiftly

sometimes there is

no goodbye


 

I found a letter


from you in my drawer today–

nice to hear your voice

echo in my soul again

through the words on the page



Family Ties

 

That moment when your baby or child is handed to you or introduced for the very first time is magical. For me family came through adoption and step-parenthood. For others it comes through birth, fostering or mentoring relationships. It's all the same stem ... for at the root, family is formed through love. My moments were in 1990 at the airport, in 1995 in the hospital lobby and in 2015 at a 4th of July BBQ, but they’re fresh in my memory.

 

myriad ways, family--

after a lifetime of waiting

my arms are full



Cat Ku

 

I wanted a cat

you longed for a home

we rescued each other

 

wearing black

when you’re a cat lover–

nonsensical

 

cat purrs on my lap

while I sip coffee and write

my morning still life

 

spooned by purring cat

curled up beside me

tighter than tight

 

my cat has claimed

my chaise lounge on the patio

as his personal throne

 

when I attempt to

sit in his spot of choice

he scoffs at me

 

my cats are running

around the patio today

chasing morning bugs

 

my cat is listening

to instrumental guitar

with me and purring

 

pillow fell over

each cat, one by one

claimed the throne

 

cats meandering

inside and out to

adventure and warm up

 

his paw on my foot

all morning, he stayed like this

just to show he cared

 

feeding my cats

two times a day like clockwork

rubs and purrs my tip

 

double cat mojo

syncopated purring with

kneading on the side

 

sadness takes hold of

my tender, aching heart till

you purr beside me

 

both cats on my lap

syncopated purring

lovely Friday night

 

my cat tiptoes

into the gloaming

to explore the night

 

years of cat hairs

pulled up from the carpet–

new vacuum cleaner

 

you purred so loudly

a chorus of missingness

when I walked in the door

 

the space heaters

my cats and I--

fending off the cold

 

my cats--

turn my life into their

personal baubles

 

 

 

as I turn the pages

your voice whispers the words

through the years



 

those aha moments--

vision shifts

life is less murky




leaning toward light

I let go of the dark

and fall into hope




the other side

of regret–

forgiveness






Jennifer Gurney lives in Colorado where she teaches, paints, writes and hikes. Her poetry has appeared in a variety of journals, including Lothlorien, The Ravens Perch, HaikUniverse, Haiku Corner, Cold Moon Journal, Scarlet Dragonfly and The Haiku Foundation.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Jan Coulter

  Our Demise   Night stars rend the moon in two, with ragged sword of experience.   Her edges raw and sharp are bleeding a...