Tuesday 11 July 2023

One Poem by Mahua Sen

 



Anamnesis

 

 

I hold the anamnesis of your kiss

under my brow.

The kiss lingers on;

fluttering in my lashes,

revealing the truth that I try to hide

The part of me that I hide from the world 

leaks out from the lacrimal duct.

I am full of chaos

Peregrinating on the tarmac of 

memories.

When my hands are emptied of you -

these are the things that I remember !

 

I remember the way 

you looked at me. 

Your eyes - 

polyglot of many tongues

spoke to me in a familiar tone

yearning for a kiss,

never would you say it in words. 

The way you drank your tea, 

slurping it with a noise

something I despised.

The softness of your smile

that I could almost touch, with my pinkie.

Your smile,

while tucking my vagrant

ringlets behind my right ear

to whisper those four words –

“I am there, always’’

 

Someday I’ll kiss

not your lips, 

but the dots between your 

synchronous breaths. 

Would you then

drink my love for you

in the chalice 

that I’ve quilled 

with my breaths?

Would you then let me kiss

the vast expanse of the sky

that you hide 

in the macrocosm of your being?

 

And, would you kiss me;

one last time?

The kind of kiss 

that would burn me 

and the menagerie of inhibitions 

that I pet?

I’ll burn into cinders

and would rise

in swirls

not settling onto a feculent bog, anymore.

But manoeuvring to somewhere

or nowhere

I would evanescence

into the ether

falling    

       into 

           the 

                lap 

                    of 

                       an 

                       eternal 

                              rest!

 

 




Mahua Sen is a multiple award winning poet/author based out of Hyderabad, India.


1 comment:

  1. A tender, beautiful poem with a sad ending. But then "Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought." (Shelley) Congratulations, Mahua Sen.

    ReplyDelete

Two Poems by Dr. Sambhu R

  Gooseberries “Ours, too, a transitional species, chimerical, passing…”—Jane Hirshfield The zinnias and pansies in our garden wake as ...