Monday 17 May 2021

Five Superb Poems by Rafaella Del Bourgo

 



Olive Oil

(for my Sephardic grandmother)

                     

I remember eyes like sapphires,

dark moles in the folds of her neck,

her bosom, skillfully imprisoned in linen.

 

Olive oil must be deep green and pungent

to evoke other memories,

sautéed fava beans, roasted chicken,

rice blushing with tomato and raisins plump with steam.

Cream puffs for dessert,

flour caught in her diamond ring.

 

We were fed advice:

            Never buy a used book; people are dirty.

            Those crab apples are sour;

            your mouth will pucker up and stay that way, forever.

            No one will want you.

            We don’t take the bus; we’ll never have to, God willing,

            we take cabs.

            Kosher meat is always best; don’t try to fool me with that traife

            from Albertson’s.        

 

In her birthplace, Massua, Eritrea,

where she could hear lions cry outside the compound walls,

she attended the only school for girls; nuns taught women’s work.

On Shabbos, her father, a colonel in the Italian army,

brought in hungry Jews to feed.

Her mother emptied the larder, silently served them.

 

Before Grandmother’s blood broke,

the betrothal was sealed by mail;

the family with its too many girls lacked dowry

and who but a cousin would have her?

Wrapped like a gift against the ocean’s cold,

she was shipped to Shanghai,

hand-written recipes in her trunk.

Among the rickshaws on the dock,

a stranger, my grandfather, elegant and contained, in a downpour.

      

 

**           

After twenty years and two boys,

before Mao marched and the Last Emperor fell,

Grandfather got the family and its fortune out,

settled into the house on Tiger Tail Road in Brentwood,

comfortable among the wealthy and the famous.

 

She ruled her house with a wave of her hand

and commands in Ladino.  She knitted and sewed,

taught the proper way to behave.       

            Don’t be familiar with the maid;

            she’s robbing us blind.

            It’s not ladylike to run.

            Don’t wear that frou-frou blouse;

            dress well and you, too, will marry a Del Bourgo.

            Keep the line pure.

                       

In her curio cabinet, animals of yellowed ivory, amber and jade:

a small herd of horses, three monkeys, a Pekinese.

Dressed up in dotted swiss,

I was allowed to play with them, but carefully,

behind the striped silk couch with dragon’s feet.

            When I go, all these will be yours. 

 

But, after Grandfather died,

the antiques buyer with the moustache arrived.

Month by month, the creatures were sold

as I secretly wept in one room, Grandmother in another.

           

I wear her earrings of platinum and pearls,

make filling for bourekas the old way:

stir spinach and onions, ground meat and garlic in sizzling olive oil.

A knob of hard candy between my teeth,

I sip bitter tea from her gold rimmed cup,

close my eyes, lean against the kitchen counter,

listen for the sound

of the lions’ cry.     

 

 

Near Ghent, Belgium

 

It is chilly and she does not sleep.

Lies beneath a cloud-like duvet

listening to the pulse of her own blood in this too-big house,

too-empty.  Three stories, ten bedrooms,

only this one furnished

and what is she doing there.

 

Then, music.  Pale-blue, silvery.

One of those Chopin pieces she wishes

she could identify.

 

She swims down the staircase,

through the anticipation of the entry hall

with one casement thrust open,

the reverie of the dining room where shadows

of the old man’s paintings

still darken the papered walls.

 

In the grand parlour, at the grand piano,

the mad boy. 

The family says he’s a neighbour

who wanders the property at will

with his moon face and thick shoulders,

sometimes pretending

to do odd jobs.

 

He had entered through the window

though the doors are left unlocked.

His hands flutter over the keyboard,

his eyes squeezed shut against our world,

wide open onto another.


 

Marina

 

In a town south of Amsterdam,

Marina first requires a handshake.

Then, the man must pay,

sometimes with the gift of a parakeet,

mostly with a crackle of bills, a jingle of coins.

 

The handshake she dusts off

as though she were baking

and flour had traced the lines of her palm.

 

She collects the money in a glass jar

specially blown by the man in clogs,

his hands calloused to brown leather,

face burnished by furnace fire.

 

Flanked by large bird cages,

she stands looking out her window --

skaters on the frozen canal,

though the light is now dim.

On her days off,

when there are no men who lie down,

then rise like dough,

she thumbs through travel brochures.

On the floor,

a world atlas,

the consolation of maps. 

 

A knock at the door. 

The man in clogs doffs his cap,

offers warm pumpernickel

wrapped in white paper.

She gets out the butter,

heats milk for cocoa as

he tells of being injured,

shows her the burn,

a raspberry on the ladder of his chest.

 

They both reach for the bread.

He trims off the heel, passes a thick slice.

She closes her eyes

then opens them again

so she can really see him.


 

Black Lizard

 

I found a very small mummified lizard.

Black.  Perfect toes, perfect tail.

Its eyes closed as if briefly asleep.

I lifted it carefully. Carried it home,

placed it on a scrap of white velvet

in a plastic case.

Put the case on my dresser top.

 

My lover said, That is most unusual.

I said, I’ll call him Lizlo.

 

Events unfurled this way:

The lover was too young,

his knuckles unbloodied,

teeth white as the idea of youth itself,

and I sent him away to find.

He left behind only a shirt

printed with flowers, with sailboats.

 

            I’ve been to sea, I told Lizlo,

            when the waves folded like the pages of a book.

            At night in the harbour, the moon

            bled milk.

            I drank quickly so it wouldn’t sour.

            At night in the harbour, the moon

            seeped a cloud of mist.  I inhaled

            and filled my lungs with silver light.

 

            In early morning,

            I swam in circles with the fishes,

            melancholy and noble.

            Everything was splash.

            Everything was chrysanthemum, delphinium.

           

Let me summarize matters for you so far:

I sent a young lover away to find;

I spent some days talking to a lizard,

perfect but dead.

 

            This is what I explained to Lizlo:

            I was grateful not to be a shark,

            an eel, a jelly, a desolate narwhal.

            I swam until I became blue,

            and when I returned to the boat,

            I no longer cast a shadow.

 

 

                                                          

 

The Road

 

Just for a moment

I lost

myself.

When I woke, the Jeep and I were

upside down.

I released the seat belt, crawled out

the window.

We were in a meadow.

It might have been

spring.

The field was dappled

with colour.

Purple and yellow lupine,

buttercups,

white iris with their ruffled

dragon faces.

Nearby, a herd of deer.

Several does, fawns and a buck

who lowered his head and pawed the ground.

The others were          behind him,

eating flowers and grass.

The blossoms decorated

their mouths.

The buck drew closer, snorting.

I told him I was

hurt

and he became quiet.

My legs ached and my arms.

Blood on my head.

I could feel it warm and red on

my fingers.

Blood on my pale blue blouse.

The sound of hooves, swishing

through grass and the slight

slithering

of a pale green snake.

A country road at dusk.

Grass and flowers and deer and one skinny

little snake,

an upside down           yellow box of a car,

a woman, listening

as a siren

drilled                            the sky.

The deer moved,

away from

the road.

I waited              on my back

and watched the sun

slide down behind                                  a hill.


      

 



 Rafaella Del Bourgo’s writing has appeared in Puerto Del Sol, Rattle, Oberon, Nimrod, and The Bitter Oleander. She has won many awards including the League of Minnesota Poets Prize in 2009. In 2010, she won the Alan Ginsberg Poetry Award. She was also the 2010 winner of the Grandmother Earth Poetry Award.  In 2012 Ms. Del Bourgo won the Paumanok Poetry Award.  In 2013 she was the recipient of the Northern Colorado Writers first prize for poetry and in 2014, the New Millennium Prize for Poetry.  In 2017 she won the Mudfish Poetry Prize and was nominated for the third time for a Pushcart Prize.  Her first collection I Am Not Kissing You was published by Small Poetry Press.  Her chapbook Inexplicable Business: Poems Domestic and Wild was published by Finishing Line Press.  She lives in Berkeley with her husband and cat.


“Olive Oil” previously published in Mudfish

“Black Lizard” previously published in Hunger Mountain

“The Road” previously published in The Jewish Women’s Literary Annual


                                      

1 comment:

  1. Rafi is my neighbor and I really love her poems, they carry me along like a story that I can't stop reading, they are little jewels and so accessible, so real

    ReplyDelete

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...