Tuesday 6 February 2024

One Poem by Antonia Alexandra Klimenko

 



Heritage 

 

Let's put down roots  you said-- 

buy a house   have a kid   get a car 

Let's not lose another year 

wandering like gypsies all over creation          

 

(Mind you 

this would be the same year 

you planted yourself   

in another woman's garden-- 

the same winter 

we buried you in the ground)

 

Let's not   I said  

combing centuries from my hair    

Let's honour what we've already lost 

 

Everything  

slipped through my fingers 

that year 

Nothing  

took root in me 

only you 

six feet under 

 

I pulled my hair out  

by its roots  

over you-- 

for every secret 

for every lie 

for every betrayal-- 

one by one 

I let my hair down 

like a ladder 

then descended into Hell 

  

I have always gone to great lengths in my life     

Never once cut my hair growing up – 

It was a part of me     

I wore it coiled  

as I  would the sun 

on the crown of my head  

I wore it loosely entwined 

with the strands of the moon 

 

Deeply braided                                                

in my Ukrainian heritage 

it was a magical antennae   

a conduit to energy both radiant and luminous 

I could tell when you were lying-- 

see things before they happened 

 

And so                                                              

I parted and untangled 

your deceptions-- 

the lipstick lies   the lullabies 

the gardens you had all but fertilized-- 

the familiar light filtering through 

the subterranean tunnels of my mind 

Each tip    channelling the sun  

                 scratching at the surface of the moon 

Each tip    a translucent vibration  

                 of the generations before me 

 

I let my hair down like a ladder 

and I descended

Everything sacred  

is hidden  you said 

Not true   not true-- 

though you   a mathematician 

would reduce me further 

In your mind  

I am still eclipsed 

conquered   powerless 

buried under you 

 

You  who like Genghis Khan 

ordered his slaves to wear bangs  

across their seeing third-eye

Below the surface of my skin-- 

your original sin 

your root of all evil 

poking fun at me even now 

 

Once  unanchored   

it floated up to seek my blessing-- 

the aorta of consciousness 

sending out its arteries-- 

your veins like rivers 

spilling into 

my rich fertile soil   

just waiting for you  

to take hold in me  

I   who let my hair down 

and ascended into Heaven 

 

Every Winter                                        

I tear  darkness  

from my lips   

Every Spring 

one by one    like weeds 

my fingers    descendants of earth 

wither and sigh and sing into flowers 

 

And where are you, now? I ask--                  

you a mathematician  

wandering still in that other country 

looking for the square root of one 

 

Roots do not seek out other lands-- 

but grow where they are  planted 

multiplying like numbers    

like tears   like light 

unto themselves a solution 

Unlike your blind equation   

where centuries are lost

roots find their  way back 

in the dark

 


 

Antonia Alexandra Klimenko was first introduced on the BBC and to the literary world by the legendary James Meary Tambimuttu of Poetry London–-publisher of T.S. Eliot, Dylan Thomas, Henry Miller and Bob Dylan, to name a few.  After his death, it was his friend, the late great Kathleen Raine, who took an interest in her writing and encouraged her to publish.  

A nominee for the Pushcart Prize, The Best of the Net, and a former San Francisco Poetry Slam Champion, she is widely published. Her work has appeared in (among others) XXI Century World Literature (which she represented France) and Maintenant : Journal of Contemporary Dada Writing and Art archived at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. and New York’s Museum of Modern Art. 

She is the recipient of two grants: one from Poets in Need, of which Michael (100 Thousand Poets for Change) Rothenberg is a co-founder; the second—the 2018 Generosity Award bestowed on her by Kathleen Spivack and Joseph Murray for her outstanding service to international writers through SpokenWord Paris where she is Writer/ Poet in Residence.  

Her collected poems On the Way to Invisible is forthcoming in 2024.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pomegranates - Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell

  Pomegranates Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell         The grocery store’s fluorescent lights bounce off the shiny floors and into my eyes. It’...