Tuesday 26 September 2023

Six Poems by Rustin Larson

 



FLOWER MOUNTAIN

 

The date on the FAX display said 4/13/02. I waited.

The display showed a date 14 years in the past: a wedding

of total wrong and absurdity. The mom in redbud

cotton blouse, with her son, spoke Spanish in a knot

of rapidity as I pressed the buttons. Time. It is all Maya,

illusion. They sent an image of a visa to a distant cave

 

beneath New Mexico. The cave was lit by fluorescents. The cave

warbled with the sound of the incoming FAX. Guards waited

for it, and then stuffed it in a TOP SECRET envelope. It's all Maya.

For example, once I was on a train out of Boston South, going to a

     wedding

in Western Massachusetts. This was 14 years ago. A knot

was in my stomach because the bride was an old friend. Redbuds

 

were starting to blossom. At the reception I drank a Bud

and ate a mound of fried chicken. I lived in a cave

of loneliness. People moved away from me to form a knot

of friends several chairs down. I could not wait

for the day to end. The bride was in love with her wedding.

I don't even know why I was invited. A woman named Maya

 

read a poem about the couple. It was the month of May.

That night I dreamed I met a Sasquatch named Yellow Bud

Foot. He was waiting on a path near a wedding

at Plymouth Rock. I threw cold baked potatoes at the cave

of his mouth. He sang a poem of gratitude, “Wait.

Remember old Yellow Foot when you travel this knot

 

again.” The place where I walked in the dream was a knotted

path on Flower Mountain. My life, likewise, may

be a fascinatingly strange movie. I wait

and watch the scenes unfold, unravel, bud

and progress. I'm helpless in my role, a theatre-cave

of perception with a light beaming a hidden wedding

 

from a clattering projection booth behind me, the wedding

of my thoughts and actions: flowers opening, knots

of zinnias nodding in the rain. The astronauts' cave

is actually space itself. The test pilot may

break the time barrier. The sky is gray. Everything buds

in a test of flame. Special wings are deployed. We wait.

 

 

BACK TO SLEEP

 

Scottish woman has red hair, milky skin, chocolate

fingernails. She plays companion to Dr. Who. She's a chip

off the old supermodel. My knee hurts.

 

I feel like a very old man. I've no endowment.

It's costly to live. I eat beans. Jesus is coming

but I don't know if I'll be around to see him.

 

He's going to lead an alien invasion soon.

See me? I'm scared. It's a character flaw. Chocolate

insulin. I watch the same show on DVD.

 

I crawl into bed and hope I sleep, an ice chip

on my lips. Sometimes the cat curls up, an endowment

of warmth, around my ankles.

 

He sits like a Buddha, a cookie,

if you will, of transcendence. I think I'll dream soon:

A pretty young woman holds my arm; we walk endowed

 

with intimate knowledge of each other, chocolate

in a heart-shaped box. I don't know her name. I chip

away at a stone with a small metal pick. It's coming

 

back to me: a memorial, a tombstone, night coming

too quickly; the woman no longer walks with me,

moon gray as chalk above the chipped

 

typography of gravel drive, and soon

enough I'm awake, a bit shaken, the chocolate

fur of the Siamese on my feet, the endowment

 

of molecules circulating in a tree of

nerves and veins and other confused viscera. Chocolate

to feed hypoglycemia, the sun-bright cookie

 

of light I see in the darkness. And soon

I calm myself and sleep again. The chip,

 

chip, chip of the sleeping clock. The chip

chip, chip of a shrew in the wall. My endowment

awakes inside of me and keeps its eyes open. Soon

 

it will change into a different day. It's coming.

I'll read the news, eat a granola nut cookie

for breakfast, drive to work in a shiny beetle.

 

 

BLACK

 

Fairfield High Trojans Marching Band orbits

my house, step dances on the streets, and plays

Paint It Black” by The Rolling Stones.

It's not a reference to the peeling paint

on my house, or is it? It feels more like a commentary

of the first eights weeks of Trump. I butter

my toast and get the coffee going; I sear a couple

of eggs with a crust of Parmesan. I peel

clementines and think of that Sci-Fi

movie “A Crack in the World” where life's

finale gets the dubious promise of a reboot

from a sexy woman, a beefy man, and one

startled chipmunk rummaging through

the smoldering ashes. I feel allergic

to everything, yet I promise myself I'll go

to the library and decatalog books published

in the early years of The Great Society.

How to Praise Creative Children

and other titles. Did Donald Trump

ever play Twister in kindergarten?

Did he even go to kindergarten? Or did he just stare

at a pile of money and contemplate

its personhood? I've been told to just think

and make things real. That's one possibility.

A young Hindu asked my advice about creating

a persona whose existence depended

on the perception of patterns. He told me

to keep a lid on it. I saw a series of red doors

receding in a tunnel of infinity mirrors which,

when you and I both contemplated it, were all black.

 

 

SPARKY

 

Sparky, the former security guard, is checking

his email. Certain people set him on edge.

It is March 27th. This is not Disneyland.

Hayley Mills adored Walt Disney.

Walt would make Hayley root beer floats

in his private movie theatre. Hayley was money.

Pollyanna helped cement the franchise.

Sparky has other problems, though,

like how to eat, and the glad game

just does not cut it when your belly

is screaming. These are tough times

and I don't want to see anything worse.

Many people come here for the free internet.

Libraries are the nation's living rooms,

offices, refuges. There is a shelf

that screams NEW! NEW BOOKS!

I watch the lights burn. I hear two sticks

being rubbed together. Someone is leaving,

ear buds plugging the sounds of surface reality.

Sparky watches the computer screen

as if it were a roulette wheel, a jackpot machine.

There are no company picnics,

no softball games, no wedding receptions

to crash, no funerals. Snake eyes.

I have twenty minutes before I close

the place up. Bartenders would say,

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.”

They are tossing out boxes of expired

Jell-O behind the Valu food mart. It's been

drizzling all afternoon.

The street looks like the skin of a python.

 

 

McChild McMartin

 

The monk of the brown canvas hippie bag

chased a Pokemon with his smart phone

all the way through the library and onto 4th.

It was spring break. People were constructing

a police-blue arc de triomphe

near the east-west highway where an anarchist

had freed all the inmates

of the pet shop: cockatiels, tuxedo kittens, and hedgehogs.

The animals wandered innocently on the lawn

of the retired high school art teacher's

replica of Lincoln's Springfield home,

and a rogue croquet ball caromed off

the hubcap of a sea-mist green VW Beetle.

Sirens erupted all over town. It was Taco Tuesday.

 

Meanwhile McChild McMartin dissolved

an expired Alka-Seltzer tablet

in a glass of pink motel bathroom faucet water.

Sponge Bob laughed wildly on the television.

He, McChild, could have been watching the news

which was concerned with the demolition

of a bridge near Big Sur,

but he hated the news. He had come to town

to pray and meditate and eat a bag

of Doctor Bronner's All One God Faith

herbally seasoned corn chips and to slug down

16 oz of black cherry kombucha. He had done so.

And now the Alka-Seltzer. McMartin

dialed up his sister on his smart phone

and told her he would be late for the funeral,

but would appreciate it if she saved a plate of ham

salad and a chocolate cupcake for him.

Their father had been a brutal man,

but now the fog came down or had arisen

and the lights of semi trucks seemed

like good guesses.

 

 

RANDOM EPISODES OF THE TIME TUNNEL

 

which starts with the one about the Titanic.

I liked the panelled luxury liner set and Susan Hampshire

as Lady Brit in Distress. A French stowaway

ate a banana in a janitor's cabinet. It had focused detail

for a cheesy TV episode. The concentrically

circled techno-vagina that took the hapless scientist

back in time, or forward: wow. Here they are

in their multicolored and helmeted space pajamas.

There was a board game. There were metal lunch boxes.

Everything happened in 1966. Why is that?

The Rolling Stones still looked like mushroom boys

back then. Merlin the wizard, and gigantic black widows,

and that was just in first grade. Robert Duval

and a chrome alien who resembled Samuel Beckett,

the human race was improving. My brother drove

the Volkswagen to retrieve the Pasquale’s meatball

and mushroom pizza. A black storm arose and brought rain,

thunder, and the lips of a lonely tornado

against our picture window. We were captured

by Algonquins, imprisoned by Napoleon; we shook

the Frosted Flakes to find the submarine prize.

We drove to South Dakota for vacation,

licked ice cream at Custard's Last Stand, ha ha.

We drove the time tunnel highway, pitch night,

dodging jack rabbits. We built radios to contact

people from the Holy Bible: kings and lepers,

sheep and shepherds. Somewhere along the line

I took a vow of silence and one of poverty.

Our leaders kept pounding the earth with bombs

and oil wells. Plagues scouted the scenic overlooks.

 


 



Rustin Larson's poetry appears in the anthology Wild Gods (New Rivers Press, 2021). Recent poems have appeared in London Grip, Poetry East, The Lake, Poetryspace, Pirene's Fountain, and Lothlorien Poetry Journal. His chapbook The Cottage on the Hill was published by Cyberwit.net in April of 2022.









He is on faculty in Maharishi International University's MFA in Creative Writing program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pomegranates - Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell

  Pomegranates Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell         The grocery store’s fluorescent lights bounce off the shiny floors and into my eyes. It’...