Saturday 2 September 2023

One Poem by Linda H.Y. Hegland

 



Sing My Song

 

Sing me my song -

the one with words so heavy

they feel like an anchor

in the heart.

 

Sing me my song -

the one you said you wrote

for me; the one

you couldn’t finish.

 

The lilt is sad -

why is that?

The melody line

is a catch of the breath.

 

Did I break your heart

so hard that the pieces

are shattered? Because

the notes are like glass.

 

Sing me my song -

make my heart ache,

make me hold myself together.

Teach me the words.




Linda H.Y. Hegland is an award-winning poetry, lyric essay, and non-fiction writer who lives and writes in Nova Scotia, Canada. She writes the occasional short story. Her writing most often reflects the influence of place, and sense of place, and one’s complex and many-layered relationship with it. She has published in numerous literary and art journals and has had work nominated for the Pushcart Prize. She has previously published two books of poetry - ‘Bird Slips, Moon Glows’ and ‘White Horses’, a book of lyric essays - ‘Place of the Heart’, and a book of  verses and vignettes - ‘Remember in Pieces’.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pomegranates - Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell

  Pomegranates Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell         The grocery store’s fluorescent lights bounce off the shiny floors and into my eyes. It’...