Friday 1 September 2023

Five Poems by Sharon Waller Knutson

 



Toddler Houdini

 

I’ve had it, my girlfriend,

a single mother says

as she tosses her toddler

in my arms. He ran away.

 

An angel in blonde curls

with a devilish smile,

I cuddle the child I wish

was mine in my arms.

 

He’s not even two. Where could

he go?  I ask. The cops found him

in his Pjs wandering the streets

near the café where she waitresses.

 

If my ex finds out, I’ll lose him.

I assure her he’s safe with me.

At Wal-Mart he hollers

Daddy as his feet dangle

 

in the shopping cart.  A tall

blonde man stares at me

as if I am a kidnapper

until I remind him of who I am.

 

After his father leaves the store,

I reach for a can on the top shelf

and put it in the basket and the baby

has disappeared. As I run up the aisle

 

searching frantically, the loudspeaker

booms, Will the mother please come

pick up her lost blond toddler. He reaches

out his arms to me and off we go.

 

As he runs to his mother with an orange

popsicle moustache, she asks me

if he was any trouble. We had lots

of fun I say. My little parrot chirps: Fun.

 

 

Octogenarian Cowboy

 

Shouts and bellows send

us to the front window

where three grey haired

cowboys in hats hunch

over horses as cattle

huddle in our yard.

 

When he sees movement

in the window, the craggy

cowboy in charge tips his hat

and I recognize Manny,

and his ranch hands. Two

blue heelers get a drink

out of our pond after

the herd has its fill.

 

Manny in the lead,

the cowboys herd the cattle

three miles down the dirt

road to Queen Valley

where they vaccinate

and brand the calves

and herd the babies

and mamas back to the desert.

 

Cars are stopped

on the paved

road from Highway 60

to Queen Valley as a bull

and cows with calves weave

in and out of traffic

and behind them are three

craggy cowboys herding

the cattle off the highway.

 

On his 90th birthday, a leather

faced bowlegged Manny

ties his horse to an Ironwood

tree and tells us he’s sold the ranch.

We still see the old bull

and a few cows and calves

now and then but we miss

the cowboys rounding up

the cattle on Saturday mornings.

 

 

Ballad of Big Bad Bob

 

The General Motors

retired engineer

waddles like a whale

through the Wal-Mart

parking lot to buy raw beef

for the tawny mountain lion

that lives in his driveway

under his copper coloured

Lincoln Continental convertible,

 

smooth and sophisticated

as the Scotch he sips

over ice with his fifth

wife, a skinny blonde

half his age, who drinks

Champagne like water,

and his guests on his patio

when hunters hike the hill

on the side of the golf course

and bullets fly like quail.

 

Hold your fire, he hollers

but when the patio is peppered

with swear words and more bullets

he stomps in the house, grabs his shotgun

and shoots at the hunters who scatter

like leaves in the wind. The cougar

is still crouched under his car, hunters

still shooting, and his wife drinking

champagne on the deck with guests

when he slips in the swimming pool

while sipping scotch and strokes out

on his eighty-ninth birthday.


 

Cousins

 

Frankie’s boss at the bakery

tells him his sister came

to take him to lunch.

I don’t have a sister, he says.

She looks just like you.

Blonde. Dimples

.

He knows right away

it is me. In my twenties

I never dream he will die

by the age of forty-five.

 

His brother Dave calls from Mesa

where he recently moved.

1 am seventy and he sixty.  A man

with my grandfather’s face

walks right up to me and hugs me.

 

At The Flying Monkey Saloon,

Dave sits beside me drinking

a Bud draft. One by one,

senior single women

suddenly slide in the booth

smiling. Introduce me

to your brother, they say.


 

Some Have It. Some Don’t

 

the bear of a man

I meet 

in Codependents

Anonymous explains.

 

He sniffs the air

with his snout

as he chomps

on his bacon burger.

 

A musky scent

pours from her pores.

He points

to wolf woman

with furry

 

arms and legs

eating a bowl

of chili clear

across the café.

 

What scent

do I give off?

I ask,

crossing

my legs

 

shaved

smooth

and scented

with lavender

lotion.

 

I am not

attracted

to you,

he says

with a smirk.

 

I breathe

a sigh of relief

as he reeks

of sweat,

garlic and onions.





Sharon Waller Knutson is a retired journalist who lives in Arizona. She has published eleven poetry books including My Grandmother Smokes Chesterfields (Flutter Press 2014,) What the Clairvoyant Doesn’t Say and Trials & Tribulations of Sports Bob (Kelsay Books 2021) and Survivors, Saints and Sinners (Cyberwit 2022,) Kiddos & Mamas Do the Darndest Things (Cyberwit 2022,) The Vultures are Circling (Cyberwit 2023) and The Leading Ladies in My Life (Cyberwit June 2023.) Her twelfth collection, My Grandfather is a Cowboy is forthcoming from Cyberwit in January 2024. Her work has also appeared in more than 50 different journals. She is the editor of Storyteller Poetry Journal, dedicated to promoting narrative poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Poems by Dr. Sambhu R

  Gooseberries “Ours, too, a transitional species, chimerical, passing…”—Jane Hirshfield The zinnias and pansies in our garden wake as ...