Saturday 5 August 2023

Three Poems by Ahmad Al-Khatat

 



Asking The River

 

Why are you feeling sad my friend? 

Why are your tears like black Onyx? 

I know for sure that your heart is a 

rainforest-like green jade.

 

I advised you before, 

life is a colourful & grey portrait.

Each instant, you are either. 

Loveable & unlovable!

 

My friend doesn't fall into the darkness. 

Let me write you beautiful thoughts! 

because you are my beautiful icon!

Hand on hand dissolves my worries.

 

You notified me after,

Daylight end with us in chains with sorrow 

Curious if we ever chase happiness without

drinking, asking the river if he wants a cigarette.


 

Let my Grief Flourish

I don't want to stop drinking liquor. 

No one is talking to me but your eyes.

Your smile is like a rainbow after the rain.

I wonder if you are the hero in my book of life. 

 

I always think of you, I become a poet to 

-get your attention towards the end of the night.

I passed the time educating myself that my heart.

doesn't just break once in a lifetime.

 

Let my grief flourish, among the noise of rain!  

in a small village of my dreams.

My grandpa went missing in autumn as if he

knew that he is strolling in the calmest niche in heaven.  

 

With you, I believe that I will never struggle.

In the eye of hope, I'm unknown, lost, 

sadly, alone like a wound inside a brighter coffin.

Let my grief flourish, even though our tears may fall. 

 

Her Laugh

When I notice her laugh 

I forget the colour of the clouds. 

I remember that you are the first-

-flower blooming between my arms.

 

When I notice her laugh

I sense that you're so close to me. 

Yet so far by the leaves of parting

Open your eyes, I'm here to love you.

 

When I notice her laugh

My skin is no longer cracked and peeling.

Just hold my bony hands and fly with me.

to the silvery moon far from our coffin planet.

 

When I notice her laugh

Depression will evolve quite within us.

Life teaches us to be silent and behave well.

I fail many times, but I have won your heart. 

 

 

Ahmad Al-Khatat was born in Baghdad, Iraq. His work has appeared in print and online journals globally. He has poems translated into several languages such as Farsi, Chinses, Spanish, Albanian, Romanian. He has published some poetry chapbooks, and a collection of short stories. He has been nominated for Best of the Net 2019 and was also nominated for the Pushcart Prize 2020.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Joan E. Cashin

  Morning Rush   Clouds in the sky, tugging,  leaping into the dawn  like birds gone fey, gone,  laughing and diving into the sun.  ...