Wednesday 4 August 2021

Two Fabulous Poems by Dana Trick

 



The Metal Nightingale’s Swan Song

I,

Born of human hands,

Could only sing songs

Crafted by human hearts.

 

I,

Born of contraptions and mechanisms,

Could only sing humanitys’ songs

With perfection.

 

I,

Born of imitation,

Once began to love the songs

That I pieced together with creative humans.

 

Yet I,

A creation of humanity’s imagination,

Is scorned and ridiculed

By the same humans hearts and voices

That yearned perfection over their own flaws.

 

Yet I,

A metal bird that could only sing,

Is no different than the paintings, poems, sculptures, and songs

Humans painfully created to reflected their humanity.

 

Yet I,

With my rusting body and creaking voice,

Could only sing about yearning to become flawed

As the humans who crafted me,

Could only sing about begging to not be abandoned

By the humans I love.


Hestia

Oh Hestia, oh Hestia,

Keep the fire warm.

 

A great tiredness is coming over me.

A great grief is burdening me.

A great sickness is calling me home.

 

Oh Hestia, Oh Hestia,

Please keep the hearth alive,

Waiting for me to come home

like you promised long ago.

 

The memories of childhood, of friends, family,

Of the trees, the rivers, the sky,

Drift away from me on the farthest path

But return once I tread

On the road to my home’s door.

 

Oh Hestia, Oh Hestia,

Guardian of the hearth,

Please never let your fire die.

 

Oh Hestia, Oh Hestia,

Oh home, oh home,

Please do not worry,

I’ll be there very soon.




Dana Trick - Born a first-generation Mexican-Canadian-American autistic with ADHD, Dana Trick lives in Southern California where it is clearly foolish to wear black any day but she does it anyway. She spends her days writing emotional poems and weird stories, and drawing crappy art and comic strips. She enjoys learning about the history and the various mythologies of Latin America and Asia as well as the history and culture of disabilities. Her work has been published in the Art of Autism, the Lothlorien Poetry Journal, The Quiver Review, and The Ugly Writers. She wishes the reader a nice day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...