Friday 6 August 2021

Three Fantastic Poems by beam


 

hello Nothing

 

I love you, I sink inside you,

devour me, come on Nothing,

make a lake of yourself for me to drown in,

never enough of you.

Nothing, i can’t control you nor would I want to

 

I respect your descent

more total and again more total everytime,

you redefine zero as most absolute Nothing

making more of yourself than imagined

encircling everyone everything

existence

 

There was a time i thought I was nothing,

as if the sum of parts could add to nothing,

i could never be as clear or final, all

encompassing, endangering, consuming

i was only holding the edges of it and I had to give it back

 

back to you Nothing, love you,

exactly as you say on the tin

no less, no more,

nothing


 

very much


somehow seeing myself

as only an instrument

conduit, fruit bowl, glass vase

 

a collection of feelings we shared.

 

I don’t want to keep looking into the past

and fishing for futures that turn

flower water marble colours

the classic one - rose tinted

but no

 

you didn’t have a favourite flower

and I keep my love

 

very much dead by now



What You Are


You are not the author of this poem

You are not Christina Aguilara

You are not Santa

You are not the tooth fairy

You are not my favourite

 

oh well

 

You are not a genius

You are not a failure

You are not responsible for other people’s choices

You are not a sum of things you’ve done

You are not a little chihuahua called Pipper

You are not my furniture

You are not Jesus

You are not the worst

You are not the best and you shouldn’t want to be

You are not other people's perceptions

 

You are not going to ever give up

 

what you are is enough




beam is a 26 year old woman from Ireland. She has participated in workshops led by Kevin Higgins, read at Galway City's Literary Organisation event called Over The Edge and has been published in Cabinet Of Heed, Broadsheet.ie, Spilling Hot Cocoa Over Martin Amos & Impspired. Recent work includes; surviving the pandemic and several disappointing sourdough loaves. You can find more of her poetry @personalbeam on instagram.


1 comment:

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...