Saturday 14 August 2021

Three Superb Poems by Steve Klepetar

 




Darkness and Strange Sounds


 

Right now I hear the music 

of a hundred crows.

 

They have risen from the pines 

almost blackening the sky. 

 

Last year when this happened,  

I ducked under the covers,

put a pillow on my head. 

 

I felt like I was five years old, 

terrified of darkness and strange sounds. 

 

When the crows were gone, 

I climbed out of bed, 

went to the kitchen to cook a meal. 

 

I rinsed the lettuce, 

sliced a scallion and mushrooms, 

tomato, avocado, beets. 

 

I took my pills and let the water boil. 

Outside the trees were empty, 

branches bare and shaking in the cold wind.


 

 

Eulogy


 

“My friend without eyes sits in the rain smiling

With a nest of salt in his hand”

 

W. S. Merwin

 

My friend has turned to rock, to salt.

He won’t talk to me anymore.

His voice has become a roar 

or a whisper on the wind.

His feet are rooted in the soil.

My friend is a hero in a Greek myth, 

one who has been transformed 

by a loathsome god.

My friend could be a sea bird

glimpsed from the deck of a tourist boat 

sailing to the island where gannets nest. 

He could be a mountain goat or stag, 

breaking for cover near the riverbank.

He sits in the rain for a thousand years.

His body crumbles slowly into dust and ash.

My friend is a river, the blood of this land, 

his hard body washed empty and clean as prayer.

 

 

An Old Skin


 

Waking up is a parachute jump from dreams.

 

Tomas Transtromer

 

Or a long climb down a mountain, 

with mist clinging to the cliffs. 

 

How cold It feels as you step 

over pebbles and roots, 

 

leaning forward as the footing 

gets worse. Sometimes waking 

 

can be a leap into a new skin, 

or an easy slide into an old one 

 

left hanging by the fire 

in case someone needs to get away.







Steve Klepetar lives in the Berkshires in Massachusetts. His work has appeared widely in the U.S. and around the world, and has received several nominations for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...