Sunday 29 August 2021

Four Poems by Katherine Ann Hill

 




The Trees Act Opposite to Us

 

The trees act opposite to us: they shed

about the time we start to cover head

and hands and trunk against the growing chill.

Trees stand unclothed against cruel winter’s blast

while we, head down, hunched over, stumble past

in layers of wool and fleece and down. Until

at last we sense a mildness in the air,

and cautiously leave home an outer layer

to take a walk and breathe a breath of spring.

And for the trees what does the mild air bring

but bright green skirts composed of countless leaves

that flirt and flutter as each current weaves

among their layers its pattern of romance:

So trees stand in one place and get to dance.



Winter Fall

 

I dashed my foot against a stone today;

my mittened hands and satchel broke my fall.

No broken bones or sprains, I’m glad to say;

an apple bruised more than my foot is all.

For sueded leather stitched to tight-knit wool,

for my old satchel stuffed and padded full

with books and folders and good things to eat,

for fur-lined leather boots that shield my feet

against the buckled concrete pavement’s clip;

for guardian angels as I come and go

who steady me when I begin to slip;

for rescues more than I will ever know

from dangers I cannot begin to see

receive my thanks, O Blessed Trinity.



Centaurea Montana

 

To yield more blossoms, deadhead.

Or, let seed heads mature:

they brown, they dry, they scatter

to sprout and add allure

 

to unassuming corners,

attracting butterflies,

and buzzers who make honey,

and beauty-loving eyes.

 


My Friend Len

 

Like a squirrel

on a rock

in a bath

for the birds

I have tried

in my way

to be clean.




Kathryn Ann Hill has published over ninety poems in print and online journals since 2003. At http://pendemic.ie/?s=Kathryn+Ann+Hill you will find her pandemic poems.

She has published seven books of poetry between 2007 and 2021. Her Author Spotlight at https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kah1952 contains a list of these books. 
Tree of Life: Sixty Poems from Twelve Years, is now available in ebook or paperback format.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BBRN2PF/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=tree+of+life+kindle+book&qid=1627483385&sr=8-7


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...