Wednesday 7 April 2021

Three Poems by Alec Solomita



Theodicy

 

Please God help me find

some path into sleep.

Why should I count sheep

when you’re divine?

 

My mind trips along and

a caravan of fears follows.

A modest dip into your magic purse

would make them disperse.

Did I ever tell you you look divine?

 

The cortege glitters

in the fanged sunlight and I’m afraid.

Shall I warn the weeping ladies

of the deus ex swooping down on us?

 

Shall I warn the weeping ladies

of the deus ex swooping down on us?

 

Did I ever tell you you look divine?

 

 

The Soul Illimitable

 

I can’t find a metaphor to save my wife.

Like a doctor, the trope has its limits.

Augustine says the soul does, too:

“The house of my soul is narrow.”

 

This morning she found it hard to swallow,

and I had just sat down with my coffee!

“The house of my soul is narrow,”

a burnt-out man in pajamas with a butter knife.

 

She calmed down in half an hour, or half my life.

By then the coffee was cold. “The house

of my soul is narrow.” I’m so beat,

and my anger’s shallow and self-directed.

 

I help with her panties. Her legs are stubbly

and sallow, her hard feet searching for entry

into this simplest of tasks, her nails horny

despite a pedicure, brief respite from strife.

 

And then the pad. She used to call them with a laugh,

“my unmentionables.” Now, she utters nothing

but remnants that echo around her hollowed mind.

All dressed up, her girlish smile rakes like a harrow.

 

 

 Insomnia

 

Stars, some dead, quiver

on the pane.

Bourbon and Scotch,

never go bad.

 

Time qua time,

says the physicist,

is an illusion; yet the ice deliquesces,

stars blench in the appalling sky.




Alec Solomita is a writer and artist working in the Boston area, USA. His fiction has appeared in the Southwest Review, The Mississippi Review, Southword Journal, and Peacock, among other publications. He was shortlisted by the Bridport Prize and Southword Journal. His poetry has appeared in Poetica, Litbreak, Driftwood Press, Anti-Heroin Chic, The Galway Review, Panoplyzine, The Lake, and elsewhere, including several anthologies. His photographs and drawings can be found in Convivium, Fatal Flaw, Young Ravens Review, Tell-Tale Inklings, and other publications. He took the cover photo and designed the cover of his poetry chapbook, “Do Not Forsake Me,” which was published in 2017.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere - Short Story by Duane L Herrmann

  Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere Short Story by Duane L Herrmann     “Did you hear of the tragedy at Lindisfarne, Britannia...