Saturday 20 August 2022

Four Poems by Ursula O'Reilly


 

MISLAID

 

I found a treasure one day,

At the heart of a white rose.

Soft as clouds, concealing

A ladybird? About the size,

But gaily reflecting sunrays.

A ruby? Veiled in a bloom?

My pulse quickened, I gazed.

 

I plucked the rose and sat

On a nearby bench. The park

Now empty, in late afternoon.

Viewed the miniature thing,

Concealed by petals. I trembled,

Aware of enchantment present,

Occurrence not witnessed before.

 

I gently withdrew the object,

Positioned it upon my palm.

Marvelled at what I beheld.

Not one article, but two!

Brilliant and glittering red.

Radiant, perfectly made,

A pair of miniscule shoes.

 

Expertly crafted, surreal!

I turned them in my hand,

As nature held its breath.

Entrancing moment, though

I remained somewhat unsure.

Comprehending a pixie, had

Mislaid her exquisite shoes!

 

 

CAROUSEL

 

Carousel surges to life.

Colourful steeds prance

In beguiling motion.

Carnival music jingles,

Ornamented ponies fly.

World spins ever faster,

I pause and wonder why.

Within me there is silence,

The centre of storm’s eye.

 

People pass in motion,

Merged in vibrant light.

Children’s sticky faces

Giggle in gay abandon,

Contemplating clowns.

Music becomes louder,

I pause and wonder why.

Within me there is silence,

The centre of storm’s eye.



THE DAY THE PIXIES CAME

 

Nothing remained the same,

The day the pixies came.

Crept in beneath the door,

Or through an old mousehole.

 

I sensed a presence which

Had not existed there.

A swish of gossamer wings,

A light that seemed to glow.

 

They trampled down my cares,

Filled my home with song.

Nothing remained the same,

The day the pixies came.

 

 

LIFE


Life is a mirror,
What you give is reflected.
Immersing you in golden light,
Or choking you in dense fog.
Let your colours dance.

Life is a song.
Sometimes the song is sad,
Change the playlist.
Sometimes the song is joyful.
Play it again.
And again.

Life is a journey,
Not a destination.








Ursula O’Reilly is a writer/artist living in County Cavan, Ireland. She is the author of numerous poems and short stories and is currently working on a novella. Her tales are drawn from life experiences, fairy stories and mythology, and people/events, real or imagined.

Ursula’s poetry and fiction has appeared online and in various literary magazines including: ‘Dawntreader Magazine’, ‘Vita Brevis Press’, ‘The Literary Yard’, ‘Poetry Plus magazine’, ‘Woman’s Way magazine’, ‘Young Ravens Literary Review’, ‘Otherwise Engaged Literary and Arts Journal’, ‘Personal Bests Journal ’and by ‘Earlyworks Press’.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Four Poems by Nancy Tinnell

  I want to sleep for half a second a second, a minute, a century but I want everyone to know that I am still alive that I have a go...