Monday 1 August 2022

Five Poems by Dr. Anissa Sboui


 

Perfume

When you touch my hand,

On our long-awaited hot date,

I understand

To what extent you’ve been longing

To see me in exalted state.

 

Dreamy, dizzy, dormant I’ve become

The fragrance mesmerizes me,

The captivating scent drives me wild,

Dab the keen scent on my soft cheek,

It looks like the skin of a frail child,

I’d lose control, I’d feel inevitably weak.

 

My eyes start to shut

No wink of sleep I can get,

The scent of your perfume

Takes me far away,

Crossing oceans, reaching farther seas.

Digging deep wells, seeking invisible breeze.

 

Whenever we meet

Wherever we take a seat,

In any restaurant we used to eat,

On every occasion,

There is celebration

I do entail,

The omnipresence of your irresistible perfume does prevail

It rules

It governs

It judges

It may forgive

But sometimes, it puts in jail.

Whenever we gather

Wearing your perfume together

On this occasion

Your indescribable odour makes me

Cry

Sigh

die

Fly

I go places

I meet races

I witness cases

In many turbulent faces:

Italy, London or Paris

Thanks to your perfume,

My days, my years

Are devoid of any crisis…

 

The Co-Authored Poem 

You are my imagery                Your tongue I am 

           

                  You are my tower tall

                  My skyscraper,

                  My spring, my fall

                  My everything, my all

                  My painless weapon

                  My stainless swords,

                  My fridge, my mall

                  My blue pen,

                  My encyclopaedia

                  Full of words

                  My net connection,

                  My phone call.

                  My broodmare,

                  My boat setting sail,

                  My freedom

                  My wings.

                 

                  My boat, my anchor

                  My compass, my harbour

                  My strength, my ardour

                  My sweetest snare.

 

Charm

If you would like to change her life, please

                                            Quite easy, it is !

                                            All you must make

                                            Is

                                            A birthday cake

                                            With some blueberries

                                            But never forget

                                            A golden bracelet

                                            And neck accessories…

                 

If you would love to charm her life, please

                                           So easy, this is !

                                           All you need

                                           Is

                                           A shopping check

                                          

With some notes

                                           But never ignore to,

                                           Be chic,

                                           With a smile, clearly

                                           Dabbing that wreck

                                           And a kiss on the cheek…

 

The Leopard  Can’t Change His Spots


Every day he pretends to be himself

Claiming there is no glass on the shelf

Promising to wipe the dust away

To efface the trouble every day

 

Looking at himself in the mirror

He may see a fake man

The picture can be distorted

A fly poses on the edge

Obsessed with fear

Wrapped in terror

Filled with emptiness

To serenity, there is no access.

 

Me is not I?

He conquered his features

Struggling to fix the nose; yet

The eyes widened

The ears shortened

What can he do?

Sadly he joined the room

Slamming the window

Crashing against the wardrobe

 

Disguised he is

Female garments suit him

The dress fit him

The fly mumbled: “a liar is on fire”

The man was on horror

Dumbstruck

Put off the dress

Felt the approaching stress

The sweat reaches the harbour

“The liar, repressed desire

Fixed is the self

My new image

Ordered is the shelf”


 

Archaic Thoughts


He minds nothing as much as his best bib and Tucker...

Dumps old shoes...

Seeks brand new cars...

Purchases highly coveted watches...

Searches for novel fragrances...

While keeping the same archaic thoughts...

 



Dr. Anissa Sboui - is a University teacher and poet from Sousse, Tunisia

-The writer of Transcend (2018), Rebirth (2019) and Number One (2020), The Co-Avid Breath (2021), Hurricane (2022) Two short-stories, entitled “Alone” and “Coincidence”

- Her poems featured in Writing in a Woman’s Voice, The Writers’ Club, Galaxy: International Multidisciplinary Research Journal, Dumpster Fire Press, Medusa’s Kitchen, The 2020 Annual by the Elizabeth River Writers, Valiant Scribe, and Literary Heist


No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Sterling Warner

  Waltzing Towards Atlantis Sepia pen and ink mermaids swim across my canvas luscious locks of auburn hair levitate off bare shoulders d...