Friday 10 December 2021

Five Wonderful Poems by Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozabal


 

Out of Here

 

I come in from the cold 

to a warm bed and it is

still not what I want. In

my mind the wires have

been crossed and I can

only think of getting back

into the streets, away from

the warm bed, and the roof

that seems like a prison

cage. I want to look up and

see the skies. I want to look

to the left and to the right

and see more skies and

free space in the distance.

I don’t like walls or locked

doors. The first chance I get

to escape I am out of here.

 

 

Hanging On

 

Hanging on for dear life 

with arthritic fingers

and mouth-eaten fingernails,

 

the drop is not small at all.

If I wake up in time, I could

save this body about to fall.

I still need the sleep.

 

The smart thing to do 

is to let my dream run its course.

There will be time for healing

and better days ahead.

 

My fingers turn to wings

like those of a sparrow 

and I feel the wind on my back

along with the fire of the sun.

 

Winter feels like summer.

My heart beats steady.

The long sleep has done me well.

It is as if I had two different dreams.

 

 

She Hides

 

She hides her soul

and watches her tongue

from the crossroads trickster.

 

She hides her eyes

from the vultures in the sky.

 

She hides her heart

from every snake in the grass.

 

She looks for nothing 

but a place to heal

before she loses herself.

 

 

Day Turns to Night 

 

Sit in the drinking chair

until you fade away.

Drown those sorrows

as the day turns to night.

 

The trees are speaking to

night’s cool breezes about

the flight of birds

and the coming daylight.

 

A black bird sings to the

white stars and yellow moon.

My drink is cold.

I stopped counting at nine.

 

There is no telling what

the moonlight is saying.

The trees have gone to bed.

Soon I will go to mine.

It is just about time

to save myself with sleep.

 

 

Let the Darkness Come

 

Close those blue eyes ancient sky.

Let the darkness come far and wide.

Lie in a daze, a slumber of charcoal.

Go to sleep and tomorrow shine like gold.

 

Fall asleep and rest your weary eyes.

As the sun goes down take your rest.

In the dark your star eyes blink and blink.

Go to sleep with your bright moon heart.

 

I will pull up a chair and watch you nap.

Our slumbers will result in duelling dreams.

It does not take much to get tired.

Do me a favour and turn off the lights.




Born in Mexico, Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozabal lives in California and works in the mental health field in Los Angeles. He is the author of Raw Materials (Pygmy Forest Press), Before and Well After Midnight (Dead Beat Press), Peering into the Sun (Poet’s Democracy), Songs for Oblivion (Alternating Current Press/Propaganda Press), The Book of Absurd Dreams (New Polish Beat), Everything is Permitted (Ten Pages Press), Make the Water Laugh (Rogue Wolf Press), and 7 chapbooks from Kendra Steiner Editions (Make the Light Mine, Without Peace, Overcome, Keepers of Silence, Still Human, Digging a Grave, and Garden of Rocks).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...