Wednesday 8 December 2021

Elf Light - Short Story by Ursula O'Reilly - Previously Unpublished

 




ELF LIGHT

By Ursula O’Reilly.


“The light was different the day I saw the elf. It wasn’t dim, nor was it dazzling. It was something in between.”

“Twilight?” I ventured.

Not twilight. Elf Light,” said Alissa. “That’s how I describe it. Everything looked so distinct, and different.”

I had known Alissa for most of my life. She and her husband, Ted, had lived down the road from my childhood home. My siblings and I spent many happy hours in their yard, playing with their cats, dogs, and chickens. Having no children of her own, Alissa enjoyed entertaining us. She would make our favourite cakes and desserts. and tell us stories.

After her husband passed away, life became more difficult for Alissa. She was growing older, and poor health kept her housebound. By then I had moved away from our small town. 


Working and living in the city, I stayed connected with home. I was sad when I learned that Alissa had sold her property and moved into a Nursing Home. As soon as I could arrange time off from my job, I drove back to my hometown to pay her a visit.

The Nursing Home was a pleasant, homely building. The staff kind and approachable. I was relieved to find Alissa seated in the comfortable sitting room, looking cheerful and well.

‘Jessica! How wonderful to see you!’ She greeted me with a warm hug. One of the carers brought us a tray of coffee, and we chatted. I was relieved to hear she was happy in the Home and had made new friends.

We reminisced about old times. I told her how I had loved her stories as a child. She smiled and patted my hand, her blue eyes glistening. Seated by the sunlit bay window, Alissa looked several years younger than her eighty-five years. To my delight, she began to recount one of her stories. I felt a thrill of anticipation as I listened.

“The light was different the day the elf appeared,” she said.” And every time after that.”

“When did you see him?” I asked.

“It must be thirty years ago. It was a summer’s day like today. I was cooking lunch. I had just opened the window, a warm breeze was blowing in. An eerie feeling came over me. I felt a change in the atmosphere in the room.

The bright sunlight changed to a luminescent white light. Vivid, but not glaring. I heard a noise, a loud plop. Something had fallen from the open window onto the floor. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I turned around. A strange creature was sitting on the floor, rubbing it’s head and moaning.”  

 “What did it look like?”

“It looked like a miniscule person. A peculiar fellow, about a foot tall. Unruly black hair framed his small round face. He had bushy black eyebrows, dark eyes, and a bulbous nose. Dressed in trousers, shirt, and a waistcoat, complete with a watchchain. He eyed me crossly, rubbing his head and mumbling.

‘Well now, my dear! Why not leave a table under that window to break a chap’s fall? My poor head took quite a crack! ‘

I watched the scene in disbelief. I couldn’t utter a word.” Alissa continued.” The creature began to walk towards me. I backed away. To my surprise it laughed a rumbling belly laugh.

“Ha ha! Come now, Missus Alissa. No need to fear! We shall be friends! An elf is the best friend a person can have.” His laugh was so infectious I was soon smiling, despite my misgivings.”

Alissa’s slender face took on an expression of delight. Her eyes twinkled with mirth. “He became just that,” she said.” The best little elf ever!”

As we sat in the sunlit window seats, the years appeared to have fallen away, and I was back in Alissa’s farmhouse kitchen. “What happened next?” I asked.

“At the sound of the imp laughing, all fear left me. Something inside told me I could trust him. It didn’t feel weird, it felt normal. We were soon chatting contentedly.

‘Who are you?’ I asked. ’What are you doing in my kitchen?’

The creature sat on a footstool, next to the kitchen stove. ‘Pour me a cup of your excellent  tea, and I will tell you,” he answered.

 “Elves drink tea?”

“Yes! Elves are extremely fond of tea!” he said. I looked in my cupboard and found a ceramic egg cup. I reached for the teapot and filled the egg cup, adding milk and sugar. I passed it to him.

‘Just how I like it!’ said the elf, crossing his legs and sipping the warm liquid. I poured myself a cup of tea and sat in the chair opposite. He began to talk.

He told me many things,” Alissa said. “His name was Hubert, and he had come to help me. I felt perplexed. I was an independent person who didn’t like asking for help. Indeed, I was the person others reached out to. This didn’t make sense.

 ‘I know you are having problems, Missus Alissa.’ The elf said.

‘Problems? What problems?’ I retorted. But I knew what he was referring to.

My arthritis was getting worse. I was finding it harder to move around the house and yard, household chores were becoming difficult. My husband, Ted, worked hard on the farm. I didn’t want to worry him.

I had good neighbours who visited, but I spent many hours alone. My close friends had moved away from the area. I missed them. Sometimes I would sit and cry from sheer loneliness.

 “What brought you here?’ I asked the elf.

 ‘You did, Missus, ‘he said.  

‘Me?’

‘You asked for help, and I heard you. That’s why I’m here.’ 

I remembered pleading silently for help when life felt like a struggle. But this? An elf in my kitchen? It was unbelievable!”

Alissa stopped speaking when one of the carers came and took away the coffee cups. I was anxious to hear the rest of the story. She settled herself in the comfy armchair.

” The elf had finished his tea.” Alissa said.” I took the egg cup from him and turned to place it in the kitchen sink. When I turned back around, he wasn’t there. I searched the kitchen, then the house. He was gone.”

“Did you ever see him again,” I asked.

“Yes! Hubert was true to his word,” Alissa smiled. “From that day forward, whenever I was feeling down, or struggling to do my work, he would appear. As soon as I noticed the changing light, I knew he was nearby.

Whenever he was around, I felt better. Even the pain of my arthritis eased. After a time, my life improved, and it was all thanks to Hubert, my elf. “

I grinned at my friend. This was the best story I had heard in a long time. “How did he help with the chores?”

“If I was reaching up to get something from one of the high cupboards, I would find him there. He would pass the objects to me.” Alissa chuckled.” Often, I would come down in the morning to find the dirty dishes in the sink, all washed, dried, and stacked neatly. The floor would be swept and washed. Once or twice he even cleaned my windows! I never actually saw him doing the work. I would find it had been completed while I was out, or in bed. I knew it was Hubert.”

“Wow!” I said. “He sounds amazing. I wish I had an elf!”

Alissa laughed and nodded her head. “Hubert stayed with me. He wasn’t there all the time. But if I was having problems, feeling unwell or just lonely, he would appear. It was always when I was alone. Never in front of other people,

Eventually I told my husband about him. Ted could see the change in my mood and general health. Everything had improved since I met Hubert. My arthritis was less painful, and I would smile and laugh more.

Ted thought I was losing my senses. He didn’t believe me. He was a practical man, not given to flights of fancy. But he got a glimpse of the elf himself, on one or two occasions. After that he believed everything, and we were both much happier.”

“Did anyone else ever see him?” I asked.

Alissa gazed at me. “Not that I’m aware of, Jessica,” she said. “Ted did see him, but the elf never spoke to him. I was the only one he talked to.

As the years passed, Ted and I accepted that Hubert was around and part of our lives. The elf helped me through many ups and downs. When my husband became ill and later when he passed away, Hubert was more important than ever. I don’t know how I would have managed without him.”  

I gazed at my friend. “I’m glad you came through all that, Alissa.”

“Yes,” she continued. “I managed to carry on for some time. Finally, I could see that the best thing for me would be to move into a Nursing Home. I wasn’t happy in the house without Ted, and my health was failing.

Hubert persuaded me to move in here. He checked the Home over before I decided and assured me it was the right place. The people were kind, he told me. I would be happy here. The elf had never given wrong advice, I trusted him completely. So, I sold the farm, packed up all my belongings, and here I am.

When I heard this, I gazed at Alissa. I had enjoyed her story, but now I felt uneasy. Did Alissa believe this was true? Was my friend losing her grasp on reality?

“What about Hubert?” I ventured. “Did he stay at the farm?”

“No! He came along with me. We had been together for so long. He wasn’t going to leave me now.” Alissa smiled her sweet smile and began to rise from the chair. “It’s good to know he’s around if I should need him.”

I helped Alissa to stand up and passed her a walking frame. “Would you like to see my room, Jessica? It’s just down the corridor.” 

With a sinking heart I followed her to her room. I was pleased to note it was spacious and comfortable. All Alissa’s knick- knacks and ornaments were on display, making it feel like home.

“Come in, dear,” she said. “Sit yourself down.” I entered the room and sat on one of the chairs.

It was then I noticed the light in the room. A gentle glowing white light I had not encountered before. I stared at Alissa. Her blue eyes twinkled knowingly.

“Elf Light!” she said.



Ursula O’Reilly lives in County Cavan, Ireland, and enjoys writing poetry and fiction. Her other interests include painting and walking in nature.  Ursula has had her work published online and in various magazines including ‘Poetry Plus magazine’, ‘Woman’s Way magazine’, ‘Drumlin magazine’(Ireland), and by ‘Earlyworks Press’.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Ken Gosse

  Oddities and Endities, Five Poems about Poetry   The Day The Sky Laughed (a circular senryu)   Look! Up in the sky! It’s a bird...