Monday 13 December 2021

Five Memorable Poems by Hedy Habra



The Abandoned Stone House in Damascus

            Don’t ask me what side I am with!

                        Don’t ask me about the outcome!

 

They say rain won’t wash the indelible blood splattered in the streets, the moans and cries of children resonate in my aching ears, filling each crack and corner of my heart. Will anyone open doors and windows wide, let the wind in to erase the bitter clouds of gunpowder? Faces smeared with dust and sweat all look alike, come and go as they please, their footsteps resonate in my temples as over worn out, stretched out drums. My walls yearn for the daily smell of freshly cut herbs, for the warmth of the hearth, the familiar sight of the iron pot hanging over glowing coals. Once, the simmering stew was singing with spices and children played under the shade of the olive tree. I can still hear their mother’s humming while separating lentils from stone. 

 

First published by Mizna

From The Taste of the Earth (Press 53 2019)

 


How the Song Turns into a Legend

 

We all have but one song, spend a lifetime

looking for ways to say it,

as one recites an unending poem,

a chanson de geste,

a canto, or an epic.

What happens then if you whisper it only to yourself,

burying it deeper every day?

Wouldn’t it wilt as petals pressed

between the pages of a book?

And couldn’t a garden die of indifference?

 

But take any couple, an encounter, turn it into a legend,

make it last...  Their story told and retold,

ritualized by repetition,

until their stature grows, their eyes brighten,

until their voice is heard,

 their sin forgiven...

Recount tales in tongues, in parables, uttered in public squares,

whispered in corners

in sotto voce,

                        from mouth to mouth,

hear a mother’s voice warn her children

with a half-smile,

witness puppets parody star-crossed lovers in street fairs,

in jest, in awe,

in ever-changing roles and settings. 

 

Watch words form lines, notes, scripts, scores written in scrolls,

in parchment, in manuscripts folded in folio,

in quarto,

scribbled in notebooks, in recipe books,

in brown paper, engraved in stone, in bronze,

gold or ivory,

transcribed,

transformed,

until only names are left untouched.

When so many variations deafen the original song,

then, and only then,

the images retain their spell,

 become universal,

art legitimizing what could never endure. 

 

First published by Puerto del Sol

From Tea in Heliopolis (Press 53 2013)



Mobilis in Mobili

 

 

Watch how some people seem to be taking notes, but if we look closely, their pens race over the page, tracing cuneiform characters, arabesques, spirals intertwined in wildest vines, mysterious glyphs, oftentimes starting with a square or a circle they will randomly fill with parallel lines or curves, until the figure grows into a Rorschach stain in which they discover the extent--or limits--of their talent.  And now that words refuse to follow the rows assigned to them, demand a life of their own, I find myself scribbling in concentric circles as if I were an insect lost inside a rosebud whirling like a dervish caught in a jinn’s bottle until a flower emerges from the wraps and folds of his flying gown, his bent head a dark pistil deep inside a convolvulus and does it matter if it is not an arum or a delphinium?

 

I add more petals opening their wings, then a stem growing into a stalk, but it is closer to a bird standing on one foot, a cormorant, maybe, or a seagull, and with a few more feathers an Aztec headdress begs for a face, but I need not decide if it will wear a jaguar mask or bear a shield, I will fill empty spaces, erase borders, remapping my colonized realm until a boat emerges calling for a prow, a triangle for a mast, its sails ready to swell, billowing with the whim of the winds and a slight twist of the pen, almost floating on the tip of the white foam breaking into droplets over the glistening ship as if stopped in motion, a mobilis in mobili, until I can feel the mist over my face and around me the pull of the waves reaching me inside the captain’s cabin where I am all alone bent over folds of maps, feeling the drift of the current guiding my pen as it slides along the mahogany desk, dragging me down over the wavering wooden floor. 

 

First published by Poet Lore

From Tea in Heliopolis (Press 53 2013)



Sounds in the Attic 

 

Fluttering wings wrapped in shimmering muslin veils dance around

the broken planks, a gaping wound in the hardwood floor littered

with scattered down, love letters flying away from torn photographs.

A whisper breaks the rhythm of the foot beats: a tree is unearthed, its

roots bleed, veins sapping roots of my heart, throbbing as a

frightened sparrow held tightly in a palm. Hungry moon, do not lure

me into your maddened circle. Don’t you see that hole in my chest no

longer keeps a beat? 

 

First published by Cider Press Review

From Under Brushstrokes (Press 53 2015)



Drop by Drop 

 

My temples stream with cold sweat like the walls of a subterranean

cave, I need air, my heart spins, grows into a spiral, becomes

petrified into a shell sealed around a Mayan cenote, a deep green

pool filled with the mute echo of sacrificial virgins’ sighs: my dreams

drown within the ashes of my memories, with dry eyes, I taste the

salt of swollen tears as they flow away in an eternal drip, infiltrating

through the fissures of mother of pearl: valves burst into a gigantic

wave, propelling me out of myself over foam-covered dunes. 

 

First published by The Bitter Oleander

From Under Brushstrokes (Press 53 2015)




Hedy Habra is a poet, artist and essayist. She has authored three poetry collections, most recently, The Taste of the Earth (Press 53 2019), Winner of the Silver Nautilus Book Award and Honourable Mention for the Eric Hoffer Book Award. Tea in Heliopolis won the Best Book Award and Under Brushstrokes was finalist for the International Book Award. Her story collection, Flying Carpets, won the Arab American Book Award’s Honourable Mention and was finalist for the Eric Hoffer Award. A seventeen-time nominee for the Pushcart Prize and Best of the net, and recipient of the Nazim Hikmet Award, her multilingual work appears in numerous publications. https://www.hedyhabra.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Five Poems by Paul Tristram

  Time For Repercussions   Oooh, ‘Emotional Annihilation’ and ‘Sadistic Submission’ … hang on a minute, I’m just gonna run and fet...