Monday 23 September 2024

Three Poems by Myrtle Thomas

 




Another Night in Gotham


the night has wrapped its arms around me
and for a moment I saw death's robe and crown
and so many walking past me with black eyes
wearing heavy black boots with tattoos on their faces
why are their lips dripping with blood?

it seems that my heart has leapt within my breast
to see such a parade as though they're marching to war
leaving no evidence behind them, not even a footprint
but there is a poet walking in the midst wearing dark clothes
they all sing of a new moon and pray for a trail of blood.

the moon's pull is drawing me closer to a castle on a hill
where the foundation holds the image of large ravens
guarding the gate where the spirit passes through
my how light my feet are tonight and my eyes red and tired
but there is no rest while the strangers march to the cemetery.

in the darkest hour the bell tolls with its eerie song
maybe reciting Edgar Allen Poe's poetry without a voice
the hour is quickly turning, and the moon enhances the night
O' how I prayed this night would end or the great horned owl
would chase these visions from my head and this era would vanish.




The Distance Between Sun and Moon


the moon whispers a song
of the ancient's love
or lust , my eyes listen
to the strings
of golden thread
in the shadow
flung like an arrow
the ears of my eyes
hear every love song
spent dreams
bought and discarded
was it the watchers
who meddled in love ?
was it their wings
that tuned the violin ?
silver notes of moonlight
move across my flesh
as the night stirs
and hums on my breast
so much hidden
in the secrets of yesterday
the past that's carried
in the wounds
the scars as they bleed
such hurt is found
such joy that burns
between the lines of days
and the night's hours
find so little time
my eyes have found this time
to cut it with silver knives
and serve it to my heart
to once again cover it under a fine dome
my life has been so many lives
and yet there is no memory
no measure of the past distance
of the web's thread from sun and moon.




Stars Visible In the Autumn Sky


could there be more than
a wink of the eye ?
or the refection of the moon
falling like stars drifting away !

still I watch in secret
with my wishful eyes
while my breath seeps from my lips
I've measured you kisses so many times
thinking of how they would feel
if they were to steal away to mine,

my heart was so compromised
from the start of that thread of moonlight
as it invaded my eyes and the vision lingers
in my heart as a burning ember
was it only the fuel feeding this fire
my thoughts still hang in the air like a star.

these are the things that hold me here
earth bound and breathing
wilting still in your vision
weeping inwardly with such joy
O '  my footsteps fit so perfectly in yours
my darling time is escaping us
fleeing from us as the sunlight and moonlight
leaves without a trace.

here we still are two burning branches
embracing each other like the leaves on a tree
knowing that autumn is in the next swift breeze of wind
here I am still within your reach a woman whose heart still
loves you - whose body still yearns for your arms
for that fire that sets us ablaze - then cools us like
moonlight on a autumn night
the night we named September.






Myrtle Thomas lives in the United States and is retired from a large manufacturing company, She has been published in " Otherwise Engaged Literature and Arts Journal , Writers and Readers Magazine , Literary Cocktail Magazine , Sincere Dalliances , Ink Pantry , Lothlorien Poetry Blog , Lothlorien Poetry Journal , Keeping the Flame Alive Magazine , Masticadores USA Word Press, Chewers and Masticadores  Word Press , Fevers of the Mind Journal. She has self-published four poetry books " On the Horizon , Beyond the Horizon ,and a sister to the two previous poetry books a continuum " Seasons of my Life " and " As Time Goes On " A year down the road.






No comments:

Post a Comment

One Poem by Jessie Lifton & Damon Hubbs (Collaboration)

  Behind the Boathouse (Ode to the Scottish Bluebell)     “ God, how the night reels stricken!   She shrieks with orange   Spark   The morta...