Saturday 28 September 2024

Five Poems by Kieran Beville

 




The Magi and the Fox


  

Cousins arrived in polished shoes 

And Sunday best 

Contrasting with the ragged,  

Soot-faced wren-boys  

Who had just left,  

Coins rattling in a tin cup. 

"Soft day, thank God" they said. 

Smell of damp coats 

Drying near the fire 

Steam rising with laughter. 

I, nonchalantly, examined  

The figurines in the crib 

With its purple crepe paper 

And peeled the warm braided wax 

From the tall red candle 

Moulding it into a fox 

Who joined the magi  

Beneath the Bethlehem star. 

 

 

 

 

The Acolyte and the Olympian


   

It was 6 am, mist rising from the river  

As I crossed Sarsfield Bridge 

To the Franciscan church  

To serve the Latin mass for a visiting American priest. 

Alb and starched white surplice in a Besco bag. 

I hoped I would know when to kneel and stand,   

To remember to genuflect when crossing  

The tabernacle that housed the sacred host.  

To ring the bell when chalice and 

Sacramental bread was raised aloft. 

In the vestry, I laid out the priest's robes, 

Put water and wine in little glass jugs. 

The clergyman seemed ordinary before 

He donned those garments. 

But when he kissed the stole  

And draped it over his shoulders  

He was sanctified by ritual. 

Just like the way he patted his lips  

With a white linen napkin 

After he supped the blood of Christ. 

He gave me a silver dollar and I was wowed  

Until I learned that the coin was  

Worthless currency in my hometown 

So I placed it on the railway track 

And it was flattened by a passing train 

Into a large disc. 

I drilled a hole in it and hung it around my neck  

With my sister's green ribbon.  

A second best Olympian. 

"In nomine Patris et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen." 

 

 

 

 

Raspberries


      

Each day you turned your back on the city 

When the setting sun freed you from tedious toil.  

You followed the light, westward, to home and hearth.  

In that first summer of loss 

Memories were as bounteous as raspberries  

On the cane.  

And I marvelled at how both replenished,  

Even when I had plucked the branches bare,  

New crops appeared with new dawns. 

I still harvest the soft fruit of those summer seasons.  

My fingers stained with the blood of those berries,  

Crushed for their sacred ink. 

 

 

 

 

Tender Perennial


    

The bare branches of winter trees 

That seemed sketched in charcoal 

Against a pale spring sky 

Begin to sing in feathered song 

And fledgling leaves in hints of green 

Quiver in the dawn – 

Drinking light in thirsty gulps. 

Today I will plant 

The window boxes again. 

Some half-sheltered begonias 

Survive the frost – 

And I think of you, 

A tender perennial, 

Who did not! 

You have flown to perch far off 

In half remembered things. 

But I will always think of you 

When scarlet blossoms 

On my sills and trees begin 

To stretch their wings. 

 

 

 

 

It’s a Wonderful Life


 

We pull Christmas crackers 

Read the silly jokes and riddles 

Tie the trinkets to the flashing tree  

While wearing coloured paper crowns –  

Momentarily regal. 

When the turkey is reduced to the 

Bones of contentious conversation 

About Israel, Palestine and Hamas. 

The consensus is, to not speak of that today 

For, after all, it is Christmas. 

So we leave red wine rings 

On the white linen tablecloth 

Select a perennial 'feel good' movie - 

'It's A Wonderful Life' 

Now, there's a snow-globe world 

Where everything is black and white.



 

C:\Users\Kieran\Desktop\Profile Photos\IMG-20240111-WA0019.jpg 

 




Kieran Beville is author of Write Now – A Practical Guide to Becoming a Writer (Limerick Writers Centre, 2019). He has had a substantial number of poems and articles published in various newspapers, journals and magazines and five collections of poetry (Revival Press).  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Émigré’s Lament - Prose Poem by Greg Patrick

    The Émigré’s Lamen t       "There's a feeling I get when I look to the west, a nd my spirit is crying for leaving. In my though...