Saturday 9 December 2023

One Poem & Nine Haiku Poems by Jennifer Gurney

 



Clouds

 

I can’t recall a time

before knowing and loving

Georgia O'Keeffe.

From close-up flower paintings

to cow skulls, 

from southwestern landscapes

to cityscapes

I love it all.

 

In my early 20s,

I saw her paintings

in various museums in

DC and New York.

Her posters

colored my

my dorm rooms and

apartments and

she was just

part of me.

 

I appreciate how O’Keeffe

saw things differently

from others.

She was bold

and new

and different.

 

And I like that in my art.

 

When I was living in DC

in the mid 80s,

there was a huge installation

of Georgia O'Keeffe paintings.

I remember going to the

National Gallery

with my Aunt Marge

one Sunday

and we were rueing the fact

that she was leaving that day

and the exhibit was set to open

 

the very next day.

 

We bemoaned that she would

miss

the

exhibit.

A museum guard approached

and said,

"There’s no reason

why you should have to

miss this exhibit.

It's all ready.”

He opened the door

and let us in.

 

Just us.

 

We were stunned.

We walked in

and stood at the top

of a set of stairs.

Before us was a huge mural:

O’Keeffe’s Clouds.

 

After she flew in an airplane,

she painted picture

after picture

after picture

of clouds.

 

She was fixated on them

and their beauty.

The mural we saw was huge

and spectacular!

 

I was mesmerized.

 

There was no one in front

of the paintings,

blocking our view.

There were no other people

talking in the exhibit,

just us.

It was an experience

I had never had before

… or since.

 

This is my thank you letter

to that Museum guard

all these years hence.

 

I am beholden.

 

I was living in DC at the time

and many people I knew

came to town specifically

to see that exhibit.

I went with each

group of friends

and numerous times

on my own.

But no visit to the exhibit

could begin

to match

my first visit.

 

I was heartsick

the next time I went

and the view of the Clouds

was entirely obstructed

by other visitors.

Don’t get me wrong,

I’m thrilled so many people share

my passion for her art.

But I know that no one,

myself included,

would get a clear view of Clouds

or any other painting again.

 

Clouds should truly be unobstructed.



Haiku


how is it possible

to miss you more today

than yesterday

 

***

 

your voice on the phone –

an anchor

to my day

 

***

 

new day dawning

endless possibilities

for my half-lived life

 

***

 

love in motion

spins me around and 

leaves me dizzy

 

***

 

every book I read–

viewed through the lens

of new reading glasses

 

***


 

a serenade--

my love sings silently to you

from my heart


 

***



feeling blue--

no candles on your cake to blow

for you're in heaven

 

***


 

overnight

from peace to war –

prayers for peace again


 

***


 

a sliver of hope

wakes with the dawn–

fresh new day

 



Jennifer Gurney lives in Colorado where she teaches, paints, writes and hikes. Her poetry has appeared in a variety of journals, including Lothlorien, The Ravens Perch, HaikUniverse, Haiku Corner, Cold Moon Journal, Scarlet Dragonfly and The Haiku Foundation.


2 comments:

  1. You captured it perfectly, Jen. That was a stand out day. I remember it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of seeing
    ' Clouds' with one other person, a loved one, touched my heart Joan

    ReplyDelete

Poetic Voice (and the Breath of Good Intention) - Essay by Antonia Alexandra Klimenko

  Poetic Voice (and the Breath of Good Intention)                                  The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mys...