Thursday 28 December 2023

Four Poems by Arthur Turfa

 



Pilsner Urquell in West Berlin


It was either in Kreuzberg or around

Potsdamerplatz. Even the name eludes

 

me. A group of us stopped in to a

place all but me knew. Die Internationale

 

was on the jukebox, the nectar of the gods,

Pilsner Urquell, permitted to be sold for

 

solid DM. While we waited for it

slowly to pour from the tap, an acquaintance

 

of everyone else (we are about his age now) came

by wearing what they said was a Peter Alexander

 

jacket. They called him by that name, he

laughed and bought us a round. As the Czech

 

beer came a con artist whose name I

shared came for a chat and tried to hit

 

us up for a beer. On the U-Bahn later

someone said he remembered him from

 

a few years back. “Berlin is realy small,

he said.I smiled in the glow of the Pilsner.

 

Almost a half century later we sat at

lunch in Bratislava. When I tasted

 

the beer I remember that pub from long

ago and felt like  came full circle.



VIATICUM

 

Viaticum sustains me as I go

on every journey, to ev’ry place.

When all else is in doubt, this thing I know.

 

I see above me, around and below

the comforting signs as I run the race.

Viaticum sustains me as I go.

 

COVID-18 threw the world into woe,

Without chalice and bread, there is still grace

When all else is in doubt, this thing I know.

 

Now so many things have been changed, although

there is something we cannot replace.

Viaticum sustains me as I go.  

 

Hours to days, weeks to months slowly flow.

Yet I am safe no matter what I face

When all else is in doubt, this thing I know.

 

Day after day, my certainty does grow;

Nothing can e’er this assurance efface.

Viaticum sustains me as I go

When all else is in doubt, this thing I know.



Plot 2 Row 30 Grave 30- PVT Edmond Schollaert

 

A residence filled with photographs of

dozens of relatives. I would hear his name

 

at times. Years later on the Internet

I found him among the Great War’s Fallen

 

from a town near where Belgian ancestors

found a better life. His face resembled

 

my grandmother’s, but his hair was blond,

A few clicks later told me so much more.

 

Ironies abound in his three decades: wounded

in the final offensive, death hastened by

 

influenza weeks after the Armistice,

before his wounds could heal.

 

He rests in Picardy with his comrades

in Plot 2 Row 30 Grave 30 of the

 

Oise-Aisne American Cemetery

a hundred miles from the ancestral home,

 

Otherwise from his memories I

would have heard of the Great

 

War at a family gathering, a young

boy spellbound as he regaled us

 

with tales of the soldier’s life:

No Man’s Land, trenches, gas

 

and ear-shattering artillery behind

and in front of him, day and night.

 

Belgian genes brought the rest peacefully

into their 90s. Edmond’s shadow

 

extends across the water mingling

with so many of the fallen, the forgotten.

 


           Winning the Powerball


           Not that I play these things

                          used to get  lottery tickets in Christmas cards

                          from fellow teachers in Pennsylvania

             But supposing for once I

                         actually did buy one

                         and played my street address

                         or an old Zip Code

                           …something like that….

    And one night watching before the news

                   the tuxedoed or evening-gowned MC

                   releasing my numbers and the Powerball!

 

          Even though the cash value of the $269 million

                 boils down to $139.8 million cash

                       it’s totally fine with me.

    A few calls to our financial people

                   debts paid off….

                      trust funds arranged….

                         tax shelters too…..

       I sprinkle money from Zurich to the

               Caymans, maybe Cyprus

                     make a friend or two millionaires

            for a tax write off

                         in addition to friendship.

 

           And then what?

                      Look for an apartment

                      even a house

                     maybe a Pension

                                   in Berlin

          The city that has fascinated me

                      for decades

                           rejuvenates me  always.

 

          Years ago going through the Wall

                    sightseeing or for research that

                   remains incomplete. I sat in

           what was and is now again the

          Adlon Hotel haunted by von Ribbentrop

               and legions of spies. On my last

          way out flirting with a blond Vopo

             who smiled as I used the du-form.

 

           Now memory tells me what

               was West or Ost, so complete

            is the reunification rejuvenation.

                 I walked through the Dorotheenstadt

                  Cemetery in silent homage to Heinrich Mann

                       and Bert Brecht, a prayer at the memorial

                   to Bonhoeffer and von Dohnanyi whose

                      long-lost remains merit the stone here. My

                     past and present interests and careers

                 coincide in this four-acre space in

                           the sprawling metropolis.

                         

            A place in Wilmersdorf

                          or Pankow

                        maybe in Zehlendorf where

                        I could ride the U2 like I

                               used to above and

                             below ground a sleek

                            yellow U-Bahn train

                          hurtling back and forth

                   A Weisse Rot at Kempinski’s

                        Lingering over coffee or tea

                         and something to read

                 enjoying a movie or concert

                   returning to my place near

   a bakery for morning Schrippen

         whose warm aromas fill

         my nostrils


Arthur Turfa is a Lexington, SC-based poet/writer and leads the Poetry Chapter of the South Carolina Writers Association. His poems have appeared in The Petigru Review, The Lothlorien Poetry Journal, was in the Top Ten for the 2019 Poetry Prize of The Pangolin Review, as well as in other publications. His most recent poetry collection is Saluda Reflections from Finishing Line Press, © 2018.The Botleys of Beaumont County on Blurb, © 2021, is his first novel.

The concept of place figures prominently in his writers. From his native Pennsylvania to Germany, and locations in between, Turfa draws on them to discern how he became the person he became. His careers as a Lutheran pastor, educator, and Army chaplain provide inspiration for his writing.

Currently, he is semi-retired, working on short stories, more poetry, and enjoying life with family and friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Jan Coulter

  Our Demise   Night stars rend the moon in two, with ragged sword of experience.   Her edges raw and sharp are bleeding a...