Saturday 5 March 2022

Three Poems by Prosper Ifeanyi

 


MEASURING TIME

 

The Angel of Death is in the neighbourhood,

 and it soon will be my turn. But not in such

 ignoble fashion.

—Helon Habila; Waiting for an Angel.

 

Hanging from the altitude of a cliff & humming silence

to all those who wish to hear. Nothing really happens in

the suburbia; just a few beer and cold tuna fishes wrapped

in browning papers; the newspaper I hold unfolds itself

from the grasp of my dactyl & the nifty shapeshifting

alley cats glisten their eyes of sadness towards me. They

seemed to say: what now? I remember the halcyon days

growing in the creeks of the Delta. I am but a little boy again,

sitting by the river side, holding my sea conch and screaming

for my mother. Someone has taken her, and I can no longer find her.

A sea of hurried faces run down my sight  & still, my mother, she

is singing little now. The Biafran soldiers are coming, they want

to take me from my mother; to the land of guerillas and shrapnels.

They are near. My mucus infested foreside matches the kiosks that

once used to sell cigarettes, over there. & you say my suspension

on a cliff is but a coincidence? one in a myriad rarities...

The dashing & chic angel of death calls  to me, he whispers these

things, like dropping my alpenstock and reaching for the stars since

my poetry will take charge over me & won't let me break my neck.

What poetry wouldn't break a neck? How I mix my ginger & tumeric

in my egret coated mug is but another tale I have scripted in my

cookbook of life. & one by one, I am scything & garnering

barleys for some high school students—they use them for their

apothecaries & I know I am a little old now, I am still at

the precipice of it all, that is a bane we all share. 

 

 

VERILY VERILY, IT SPRUNG UP AGAIN

 

let me start again.

 

and because I was told not to start a sentence with "because"

I have chosen to wedge my

feelings with a blunt

that only a mournful lyre can

wail.

un-

predictability has become more

of an asset than liability to me

and those who wish me what they wish

me.

this is me. I am that boy

you see crouching beneath his

grandmother's mahogany desk.

waiting with his grizzled bear to

startle his grandmother; knowing she

would always say:

"Luke! You scared me!"

and father would always run out

calling to me: "grandma is a PTSDer!

leave her alone."

 

and just like that, father would

take her into that gentle dark room

to tell her that the war was all

over, and that Ojukwu never returned

from Ivory Coast. and she would

always break down in tears.



Beatification of the Kite-Flying Boy

 

Over the peat bogs & mosses,

dins of astonished feet melt through

the distance. The smell of petrichor

mixes with the hanging sweat of the

boys; age five & ten. & they are in no

hurry to be anywhere—anywhere is nowhere

 

Each time the delicacy of smoked fishes

& yams were made, they would

prefer the miraculous moon & sun of which

their innocent quivering hands could reach

out for things ever so splendid

 

Ears attuned to the parochial church bell &

eyes halting to the felling of sacrificial oxen.

They stop with their jolly tethering

quadrilaterals & disappear into thin mist

when they see the priest approaching

 

They didn't know poetry, but they knew

music. & the first time they heard a poet

recite his poem, their eyes sulled into

calcified pebbles, moltened from the core

brass in an inner factory. They preferred

to sing & leap for joy in their

 

piles of nothing they called home.

They weren't urchins, they weren't beggars,

for between true friends, even water

drunk together is sweet.




Prosper Ifeanyi is a writer and student of English and Literary Studies in Delta State University, Abraka. His works are featured/forthcoming in Afrocritik, Salamander Ink Magazine, Kalahari Review, Nantygreens, Bluepepper, Terror House Press, Aôthen Magazine, The Temz Review and elsewhere. He is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of OneBlackBoyLikeThat Review, a literary blog which curates works of art and literary oeuvres around the world. Reach him on Twitter and Instagram @prosperifeanyii respectively.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

  Chet Baker   Just as a junkie would fall from a second story hotel window   in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym and hi...