Thursday 19 October 2023

Three Poems by Myrtle Thomas

 



The Scent of Autumn and Love

 

the sun washes over the tree tops

cutting between the leaves and branches

making light of what lies hidden

those things we imagined.

 

autumn brought such a tender fire

pouring flames upon the tree tops

and colouring my eyes with emotions

resting upon the cold ashes of my heart.

 

everything seemed warm  with newness

as banners of gold and scarlet rose and fell

making a carpet for us to walk tenderly on

it seems autumn has the warmest heart.

 

I will always recall those star filled autumn nights

lying beside you -moist from the dew on my skin

and the warmth of your kisses that still linger softly

like a shadow.

 

Dust and Roses

 

my love came over the hill

carrying scarlet and yellow flowers

and warm arms embracing me

the sky blushing at autumn's kiss.

 

I desired to sleep and dream of the hours

to catch an eternal glimpse of this face

and sense the loving footsteps on the horizon

the calm peaceful voice singing in my ear.

 

dust and wind sting my eyes as he departs

sadly kicking the fallen leaves - taking my love

as though my breath escaped my lungs -

my life put at a standstill of waiting.

 

here I remain until time finds me again watching

for his return with bouquets of colour and fragrance

feeling the abandon passion of flesh and spirit

for a short time of catching the colours with my eyes.

 

soon flowers of white and grey come where his feet fell

blooming  dismal petals of death and destruction

turning a cold shoulder to my face and burning my eyes

his hands cold and sharp - his eyes piercing mine.

 

I've felt the barren branches of winter scratch my face

while I waited for the warm footsteps to bring me flowers again

green leaves with clusters of red and white and petals of sunshine

the flowers that grow between dusk and twilight - dust and rose.




Found Between a Net of Stars and Footprints

 

my darling , just to think of all the footsteps

that I’ve walked without you by my side

or the silence of the night falling around me

of all the hours that kept haunting me

those hours of my loneliness.

 

when I look behind me these footprints disappear

but still there are times that I see through the fog

times when I feel my heart weeping behind its bars

almost an eternity of walking toward an empty horizon

searching my darling for a lone star.

 

then soon after the red leaves of autumn you appeared

dancing eyes of earth tones and the glimmer of emeralds

they held such a spark of life in their fire as they consumed me

my eyes were like a calm ocean that swallowed you in its depths

then my love I knew that the universe was watching.

 

time seemed to stand still as if to catch me and show me the stars

and I was glad to have stood still in that moment of time

glad to see that certain life in your eyes , a look that caught me !

the same stars that I failed to notice until you stood under them

for now they mean more than yesterday.









Myrtle Thomas is a contemporary poetry writer who writes of ranging topics from her observations of life and the activities around her and across the world. She has a collection of poetic musings on the man-made worlds , the intertwinings that blur their boundaries and the emotions that push and pull their horizons into perspective. She has four published poetry books and has been featured in the  Spring edition of “ The Writers and Readers Magazine “ Volume  4 2022. Myrtle has been published in several  issues of “ Otherwise Engaged Literature and Arts Journal. She lives in the USA and is retired from a large manufacturing company , which gives her time to write her poetry. She tries to find a place in the reader’s mind that they too can associate  with in her poetic musings. She was also acknowledged in another poets  published book “ Grief and her Three Sisters “ by Poet Jerry Lovelady. She writes of love , loss and nature something everyone can understand.



1 comment:

Pomegranates - Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell

  Pomegranates Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell         The grocery store’s fluorescent lights bounce off the shiny floors and into my eyes. It’...