Thursday 19 October 2023

Ten Short Form Poems by Jennifer Gurney

 



***

 

your voice sings

Happy Birthday to me 

frozen on my phone forever

how lucky I wasn’t home

when you first called that year

 

***

 

a lone train whistle

through the open window

late at night

came to something

moving forward

 

***

 

Dave Matthews

Stevie Ray Vaughn

BB King

Joe Bonamassa

my blues brothers

 

***

 

Chihuly

pulls you upward

in a colour explosion

at the Bellagio

Vegas, Baby!

 

***

 

grant me patience to

see the good in all people

even when it’s hard

especially when it’s hard

that’s when I need it the most

 

***

 

sometimes haiku is

not enough space to convey

all that is needed

two more lines are required

so a tanka is the form

 

***

 

the raindrops

cry my tears for me

of sadness for your loss

and empathy

for those closest to you

 

***

 

you taught me Scrabble

as a very young girl

we played together often

each time I’ve ever since

your memory plays a hand

 

***

 

fireflies flashing

in the inky black night as

we sweat in the heat

of unnecessary fire

lit for ambiance

 

***

 

I love a dark night

and the time to be

a stargazer




Jennifer Gurney lives in Colorado where she teaches, paints, writes and hikes. She is a newly published poet with more than 400 poems published in 2022 and 2023. Jennifer’s poetry has appeared in a variety of journals, including The Ravens Perch, HaikUniverse, Haiku Corner, Cold Moon Journal, Scarlet Dragonfly and The Haiku Foundation.


1 comment:

Pomegranates - Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell

  Pomegranates Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell         The grocery store’s fluorescent lights bounce off the shiny floors and into my eyes. It’...