Friday 13 October 2023

The Feast - Flash Fiction Story by Ryan Borchers

 



The Feast


Flash Fiction Story

by Ryan Borchers


Mortadella and yams. Pineapple soda. Artichokes missing hearts. Rabbit stuffed with potato chips. He’s poisoned one of the dishes at this feast. I’ll find it and then see what happens. Maybe I’ll vomit when I make it back to my apartment and I’ll need to stay in the bathroom for a few hours.

“Do you like the food, big brother?” he says. “Are you having a good time?”

“Of course,” I say. He has my left wrist handcuffed to the picnic table’s steel frame. I’m not too uncomfortable, so long as I let my elbow rest on my thigh.

“It’ll be fun.” That’s what he said an hour ago, rattling the handcuffs in my face like I was a cat and he was showing me his keys. “I’ll have a better time if you let me.”

I sip that Indian beer he and I like, the one that’s crisp when cold, sour when warm. With chopsticks, I snag a piece of sushi with avocado that looks a little too green.

“I had a hunch you’d be a whiz with those chopsticks, what with how many times Mom and Dad dragged us to Chinese restaurants,” he says with a Cheshire grin. He has one foot on the seat so his knee is up under his chin, in what I refer to as his grasshopper pose. Who knows where he learned it? Certainly not from our mother, who always sat so straight and erect.

“Promise me,” she said to me when he was eight years old. She had me seated at the dinner table, after I’d screamed at him for taking a steak knife to the heads of my plastic army men. She spoke with her hands folded, as if in prayer. “You will always indulge him. You will be patient with him. You will love him the best you can for all the days of your life. Promise me.”

He hopes he’s got me fooled, but the feast becomes less fun for him the longer I go without being afraid. I can tell because he keeps scratching his forehead. The only time he feels regret is when he isn’t having fun. 

A host of ants skitter across my bare foot, a wandering tribe thinking it’s found the promised land among the crumbs. I fix him with my steeliest glare and grab an apple slice covered in chocolate sauce. He’s sweating now.

“You don’t have to keep eating, you know,” he says.

I pop the apple slice in my mouth and chew it up without blinking.

“I don’t mind,” I say. “It’s not like I have anything to fear.” The sweat is running into his eyes.

“You must do your best to accommodate him,” my mother said. “Even when he is at his worst.” I wondered what she was picturing when she said “his worst.” What if he tried to kill me? I would have been wise to ask her.

“Remember that time I bought you a sandwich and you wouldn’t eat it because it had mayonnaise on it?” he says.

I grab a square of white clam pizza and squish it in my fist. His face is as pale as the pizza cheese now.

“Promise me, even after I’m gone,” my mother said, tears glistening in her eyes. “Please, please promise me.”

The ants crawling in paradise below probably won’t be happy if they find the wrong crumbs.

“Do you forgive me?” he says, tearing up.

“Always.” I take another bite. Chew and swallow.





 

Ryan Borchers is a writer from Omaha, Neb., and holds an MFA in fiction writing from Creighton University. His work has been published by The Rumpus, Flash Fiction Magazine, Prairie Schooner, Umbrella Factory Magazine, Spelk, 50-Word Stories and other literary journals. He is also the author of three unpublished novels. Currently, he is collaborating with his sister on a graphic novel about adorable dinosaurs who discover the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pomegranates - Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell

  Pomegranates Flash Fiction by V A Wiswell         The grocery store’s fluorescent lights bounce off the shiny floors and into my eyes. It’...