Thursday 18 April 2024

One Poem by Barbara Godin

 



The Last Day


The morning sun was exhilarating.

It was the time of day before reality set in

That moment between sleep and wake.

Time was slipping away.

How much time do we have?

Will today be our last day together?

Sadness overtakes me.

Please give us one more day.

Words are still unsaid.

Children need to be told.

Parents need to be told.

I need you with me.

How will I go on without you?

I dress and comb my hair quickly.

I know you are waiting for me.

Waiting to say goodbye.

How can we say goodbye?

We didn’t have enough time.

Goodbye is a horrible word.

I drove to the hospital.

You are waiting with a smile.

I hold back the tears and touch your hand.

Your eyes slowly close.

Tears flow down my face.

I lay with you.

We are together one last time.




 

Barbara Godin received her B.A. from Athabasca University, Edmonton, Alberta Canada. She began writing her popular “Dear Barb” column in 2003. In 2019 Barbara won the first-place award in a short article contest from the prestigious Professional Writers Association of Canada (PWAC) for “Mary’s Story.”

Barbara is the author of five books. "Dear Barb: Answers to Your Everyday Questions" "Glimpses in Time: A Collection of Memoirs and More" also "Dear Barb 2: Advice for Daily Life” “Can I Come HOME Now?" is a bestselling memoir of her life. Barbara’s latest book “Seasons of the Heart” a collection of poetry. Barbara was born in Windsor Ontario Canada. She now resides in Chatham Ontario Canada with her husband and their ginger cat aptly named "Prince Harry." Visit Barbara's website at barbgodin.com, she is also on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.


1 comment:

  1. This poem is beautiful and sad at the same time 💔

    ReplyDelete

Two Poems by Dr. Sambhu R

  Gooseberries “Ours, too, a transitional species, chimerical, passing…”—Jane Hirshfield The zinnias and pansies in our garden wake as ...