Sunday 14 April 2024

Four Poems by Nancy Tinnell

 



I want to sleep for half a second

a second, a minute, a century

but I want everyone to know that I am still alive

that I have a golden stable inside my lips

-Federico Garcia Lorca,  Gacela de la Muerte Oscura

   

 

remembering Lorca (a glosa)

                                   

what is done cannot be undone

seconds become eternity

the end of the conflict lies somewhere this side of infinity

death gave our poet-prophet peace and endless sleep

while we are left with chaos and threat

I, night’s watchman, know that sleep beckons

but it would be dangerous to acquiesce

abandon my post when so much is at stake

to close my eyes on what must be reckoned

I want to sleep for half a second

 

to receive relief from this evil

that robs us of freedom

oh, how we need to have you with us

to hear your words, your thoughts expressed

if we could see you once again

even briefly cheat death of its victory

we would be encouraged by your strength

our cause would be upheld, our hope revived

if only we could bring you back to our reality 

a second, a minute, a century

 

we would ask you to give to us-

embed within us-your wisdom

allow us to speak with your voice

or let me be there and you here

you could say to them: you thought I was gone

that my message did not survive

that the people would give up without me

that they would fall to the ground in submission

that help for them would never arrive

but I want everyone to know that I am still alive

 

you could say to us: listen, good people

keep working for your liberation

use my voice, my poetry, my plays

to speak against all injustice

I leave them as my legacy

launch them like an armada of ships

resist the forces that are holding you down

my words will resound like thundering hooves

they will know when their empire is held in your grip

that I have a golden stable inside my lips

 

 

Tritina for Monet

 

And as he walks upon the path, the flowers crowd on either side,

like cheering throngs devoid of wrath; their verdant growth with colour pied.

                                                            -Lisa LaGrange, “Monet’s Garden”

 

Linger on the blue-green bridge when you walk the garden path.

Note the serenity of the water lilies, the lovingly arranged beds of flowers.

Monet will stand beside you, pleased that you are enjoying his colours.

 

In Giverny, he said, I will always reside, immersed in life and beautiful colour.

If you look to the garden from the kitchen window, he will be standing on the path

and will lift his hat to you, as the other hand gently grazes the petals of delicate flowers.

 

The blue kitchen with its copper pots, the studio with canvases of boats and flowers,

the dining table and rooms prepared for guests, flower vases filled with every colour;

I imagine his evenings of friendship and laughter, followed by a stroll on the garden path. 

 

Son esprit y réside toujours, in the house, on the garden path, among the flowers and all their colour.

 

 

harmony of the spheres

 

Jupiter and Saturn close together

appearing as one with light

from their tether so bright

for one night the sky is emblazoned

they sing a duet for those who are listening

for harmony, for the music of hope

delivered to enlighten, to assuage                             

a symphony in song for a world in chaos

their conjunction a canopy

of light over darkness

believe in cycles, trust in the grace

of celestial orbits to put order in place                                  

musica universalis, its message is clear

when we join together brightness appears

 

 

eros out of balance

 

it is small, barely a flicker

but capable of becoming fire

its smoke drifts upward

to cloud vision and distort focus

refusing to disappear

some unknown need

waiting to be acknowledged

floating on the periphery of all thought

until growing awareness requires a decision:

to ignite the flame or to find water?

to burn or to drown?





Nancy Tinnell lives and writes in Louisville, KY. She has published two chapbooks: murmurs (2020), followed by the sum of all my parts in 2023. She enjoys reading poetry aloud and frequently organizes events featuring readings and music. Currently she is planning an evening of poetry readings and piano music by Schubert, Schumann, and Debussy.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Jan Coulter

  Our Demise   Night stars rend the moon in two, with ragged sword of experience.   Her edges raw and sharp are bleeding a...