Sunday 21 April 2024

Nine Poems by Rustin Larson

 



Chet Baker

 

Just as a junkie would fall

from a second story hotel window

 

in Amsterdam, I once fell from a jungle gym

and hit the drought dry playground

 

with the top of my Oklahoma head.

This was the autumn of 1936, the blacktop,

 

my blood, 1st grade. From this blacktop,

angels in black suits gathered my body. The fall

 

was overlain with blinding fire, my head

was carried to the canvas cot near the window

 

in the nurse's office. Cold, wet playground

coloured paper towels sucked my eyeballs as the gym

 

squeaked with basketball shoes, and the sun

shined on my soul for a while.

 

I was a junkie dead in the red light playground

of Amsterdam, Friday the 13th, on my head,

 

May, 1988, dead, dead, dead. The fall

of living like a warm breeze in the back seat

 

of a convertible Cadillac at night on the blacktop

of jazz, palm trees, toothless trumpet window.

 

Under some circumstances, life can be a window

you fall from. Despite being a junkie, despite the pillow

 

of a woman's breasts, despite the musical blacktop,

the song, playing to my feet, the shadow, my head

 

on an autumn day on the sticky tar of a roof

in Los Angeles, that song. 

 

 

The Muse

 

She possessed the magical power

to restore youth to mortals.

Her harpsichord accompanied

the strings, flutes, and trumpets.

 

A family of sparrows occupied

the flue of the stove. It snowed

on April 16th. I could no longer

read my handwriting; a small

 

insect landed on my nose. My bag

of paints and brushes was open.

I created a picture of an imaginary

valley where no one travelled,

 

and yet someone had tacked up

a general supply store, there

among the weeds and wildflowers

and under the rose blushed sky. 

 

 

Juxtaposition in Iowa, 1966

 

“Now, who asked you?” Randy darted.

Before and after the prosthetic eye.

The children and the rainbow parachute,

the orange hula hoops, the Zimbabwe

soccer ball, the ballet of soap bubbles.

 

Randy always used his bedroom window

to leave and return to his home.

The airport control tower flashed green

and white alternately, a beam

like a lighthouse in a sea of grass.

 

One hand held a campfire, the other hand

cupped over an ocean wave. One

half of his face was white, the other

midnight blue. He started his Jeep

at 1 a.m. He drove to work like a lighthouse

 

to his job as an inker for the Register.

He dressed like an orange penguin. His brain's tree

was half alive and half dead. He ate

an apple and a pickle during his break.

Photo: a whore and a nun sat together praying. 

 

 

I Buy Some Colombian Coffee at the British Petroleum Station

 

I am sort of dressed

like a cop today,

navy blue shirt,

beige slacks, mirror

sunglasses, short

hair. A guy with

a black beard

and a Billy Jack

hat and a knife

sheathed and as big

as the cross of Jesus

sneers at me

and tacks like

a galleon past

the green gas pumps. 

 

 

New Cat

 

His name is Fred. He looks a little

like Finnegan, only Fred's Tuxy is Tabby.

He knows the drill. I write, he becomes

quiet; the jazz age plays on FM. Rain

sits in the sky and flips us the bird.

 

The living room is filled with cat toys

again; our new child. I lay my head

on Caroline's soft hip as she brushes

past me. Guess what! It's raining now

like a lost symphony. The gardens

 

rejoice. The clarinet wanders through

the ruins of a Gothic cathedral;

a rosette window is bright

with grey rain, swollen clouds;

croquet balls of hail bounce on the grass. 

 

 

Belle and JC at the Poet's Barbecue

 

In her French beret and tight blue

jeans, Belle snapped photos of the action.

JC bit off a chaw

 

as the campfire sputtered lard.

I want you to keep the banjo, he said.

I saw how your eyes lit up when you

 

played it. The poets howled

from the diamond having scored

another run. Belle stood behind the umpire

 

with her camera, its mechanical whir

as the film advanced.

You are cooking rodents, she shouted.

 

That we are, ma'am, JC replied.

I prefer the cafeteria, Belle responded. 

 

 

Rough

 

It's roughly 100 F.

I have a rough idea

what that means.

 

The novelist

paints a green cat

for her cover.

 

My sister

snaps a photo

of where she sits

 

in her community

flower garden.

I taste garlic.

 

I swing

on a hammock

and dream

 

of snails. 

 

 

Owls

 

We burned twigs

in the park's barbecue.

We roasted hot dogs.

 

It was late September

and night came earlier

than it did in August.

 

We watched the embers glow.

The train from Denver

no longer stopped in our town.

 

We sat in the park

with no train whistles,

but we watched the embers

 

and felt the owls fly

above us. 

 

 

A Life in the Opera

 

Groucho had a cigar

it seemed good

as the opera woman

 

clasped her hands

and he wagged

his eyebrows

 

I saw grapeshot

and she sang one long note

like a whale

 

Groucho hurled over

the coffee table

in this whale

 

of operas

I saw war

machines

 

I saw Usian Bolt

hurdle and win

Groucho rustled

 

his newspaper

his telephones

his scribblings of Lincoln

 

and made his

electronic bird

squeak like Hawthorne

 

and Twain

pulled up

from a drawer

 

I heard him

lap up water

viewed him

 

through a pane

of glass

virtually free

 

from his blue

ceramic clock

I think of my niece

 

a new infant

from Korea

and just like that

 

she will grow up

in America

with a voice

 

like a cornfield

and a finch

Groucho

 

is on his perch now

living furiously

with fire

 

near the Mississippi

liquefying

into souls

 

glaring at us

like owls

filled with rain





Rustin Larson's poetry appears in the anthology Wild Gods (New Rivers Press, 2021). Recent poems have appeared in London Grip, Poetry East, The Lake, Poetryspace, Pirene's Fountain, and Lothlorien Poetry Journal. His chapbook The Cottage on the Hill was published by Cyberwit.net in April of 2022.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Poems by Dr. Sambhu R

  Gooseberries “Ours, too, a transitional species, chimerical, passing…”—Jane Hirshfield The zinnias and pansies in our garden wake as ...