Sunday 31 October 2021

Five Exquisite Poems by Yuan Changming

 



Tuner: for Qi Hong

 

While still in Mayuhe on the other

Side of this world, you somehow gave me

An air-tuner, supposedly to help me

Learn erhu, the violin with only two strings

As a re-educated youth during the Cultural

Revolution, which you somehow asked me

To return to you before I took my long journey

Towards the West

     (Like the monkey king?)

 

Now almost half a century

Later, I forget how to play the instrument

But I can still sing my youthful song of

Love in perfect tune with your chuckles

Like a kite whose string remains in

Your hand however far or high

I have been flying



Reach out in Yearning: for Qi Hong

 

From the heart of night I look high up &

Spot two particular stars twinkling at me

            As lovingly as your eyes beyond the horizon

 

On a beach rock, I howl aloud

Towards the whole pacific, & hear an echo

            From your call like a lost whale

 

Amid summer raindrops, I shoot my thought of you

Down through the earth, & feel a deep tremor

            Vibrating on the other side of this world



All Day Long: for Li Lan

 

More adaptable than a summer stream  

No less wild than a wild west wind

 

My missing for you can flow & blow

Without leaving a single trace behind 

 

Like the water or the whirl, like all that

   Has no shape has no shadow



Unrequited Love

 

You are the tall mountain across the valley

That ever remains as silent as the sky

Except the echo of my own calls & songs



Man’s Last Position

 

Against all the hardships of life is held

In the very depth of his heart, where

Hides a vivid portrayal of some woman


Yuan Changming hails with Allen Yuan from poetrypacific.blogspot.ca. Credits include Pushcart nominations besides appearances in Best of the Best Canadian Poetry (2008-17) & BestNewPoemsOnline, among others. Recently, Yuan published his eleventh chapbook Limerence, and served on the jury for Canada's 44th National Magazine Awards (poetry category).


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Three Poems by Linda H.Y. Hegland

  Dancing to Connie Francis   You taught me to dance; my feet upon your feet, shuffling about the kitchen to Connie Francis and Pa...