Friday 6 January 2023

Four Poems by Lorraine Caputo

 




THE HUNT 

 

Transform to jaguar 

under the Samhain half moon 

hunting my nightmares 

 

 

SPIRIT BOLOM 

 

In the twilight of morn 

      the Jaguar upon my wall 

            jumps down upon my bed 

 

I lie still 

      sensing him 

            lying next to my  

                  still-sleeping body 

His breath       his rough tongue 

      bathes me in 

            long strokes 

 

& when I awaken 

      with the light of dawn 

            his musk fills my room 

 

 

WISDOM 

 

Beneath the full moon 

Jaguar cleanses my body, 

his rough tongue passing 

along my dreaming 

Self 

            & during the siesta 

a soft, far away 

voice whispers in my 

ear 

            but understand I can 

not 

 

 

ANIMAL DREAMS 

 

Rough tongue washes my 

sleeping self, jaguar’s musk swells 

another hushed night




Lorraine Caputo is a wandering troubadour – and a documentary poet, translator and travel writer. Her works appear in over 400 journals on six continents; and 23 collections – including Notes from the Patagonia (dancing girl press, 2017), On Galápagos Shores (dancing girl press, 2019) and Caribbean Interludes (Origami Poems Project, 2022). She also pens travel pieces, with narratives appearing in the anthologies Drive: Women's True Stories from the Open Road (Seal Press) and Far Flung and Foreign (Lowestoft Chronicle Press), and travel articles and guidebooks. Her writing has been honored by the Parliamentary Poet Laureate of Canada (2011) and nominated for the Best of the Net. Caputo has done literary readings from Alaska to the Patagonia. She journeys through Latin America with her faithful knapsack Rocinante, listening to the voices of the pueblos and Earth. Follow her adventures at 

www.facebook.com/lorrainecaputo.wanderer and

http://latinamericawanderer.wordpress.com 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere - Short Story by Duane L Herrmann

  Felix and Ahmed: Conquaerere AND Educere Short Story by Duane L Herrmann     “Did you hear of the tragedy at Lindisfarne, Britannia...